Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RV living here we come!

We operate like Steve does but we got together older and previously married. I hope you have tried the RV for longer periods of time to see if it works for you. We bought a used one originally thinking we would travel for a year but decided to take it out for a month. A month was all I could handle being in 27ft with husband and dogs.

It's always interesting to read how couples handle their finances. SO and I have always kept ours completely separate. I've always made less than him and always spent less than him. I've never had debt, he had debt until relatively recently. I put the max allowable into my 401k every year ($25k this year I think?) He puts in a good amount but not the full amount. This works for us. Especially since we live in a high cost of living city (the only way either of us could earn what we do in our respective careers). The plan is to retire somewhere cheaper and be those annoying urban Californians that come in and are happy to pay what the locals think are inflated house prices.

Aside from the benefit of eliminating money conflicts from our relationship (we would be a really unhappy couple if SO and I had to set parameters for his clothing and christmas gift budgets) I'm good with the current structure because by living with SO I'm still doing better than i would be financially if I were a single guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We operate like Steve does but we got together older and previously married.
    Same here. Wonder if that's more common across this cohort?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve it is with my friends in second marriages. In previous marriage we were young and money was all together. We had lots of conflicts about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We operate like Steve does but we got together older and previously married. I hope you have tried the RV for longer periods of time to see if it works for you. We bought a used one originally thinking we would travel for a year but decided to take it out for a month. A month was all I could handle being in 27ft with husband and dogs.

We have not tried the RV for a long period of time, but we regularly camp and are minimalists, so the lack of space I don't think will bother us. In fact, I am actually looking forward to it. Less upkeep, more time for things I actually enjoy. We also have a 35 footer. I don't think I could do 27 feet. I know RV life isn't for everyone, but I think it will be a perfect fit for us.
    Personal finance and budget travel blogger at Money and Mountains. My husband and I are living in an RV while he works remotely and I work as a traveling speech-language pathologist.

Because we had our house we didn’t take much stuff but my husband is very messy. Plus we had a 80lb dog and 3 small 5lb dogs. Plus being a 1993 motor home everything is off a hallway with no slide outs. My best friend parents went for a year with one small dog and both extremely neat.

Thread Information