Thread: For the Scots on this forum: Kilts: keep, sell, or give away?

For the Scots on this forum: Kilts: keep, sell, or give away?

I have numerous kilts. Several were my MIL's, a couple are my DH's from when he was in a drum & bagpipe band and I have a few of my own.

Given that the wool is probably valuable, and it's a true art to actually make a kilt (believe me, I learned that lesson from my Scottish granny-in-law when I tried to make a kilt for my wedding) I want to declutter them properly and with respect.

Do I give them away? Try to sell them? I'm almost thinking of wearing mine again in the winter, but maybe that's just dreaming. They are supremely practical and warm. With leggings, boots and a nice wool sweater by the fire--ahh!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Here is the website for the Ligonier Highland Games in PA. Maybe they can help find a home for them. https://www.facebook.com/LigonierHighlandGames/
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

They are valuable to a variety of people. There are bagpipe players trying to sort out a costume, rug hookers that would drool over the wool, people who just want to wear them, etc. However, price is all over the place on sites like Ebay. Special plaids, name brand designer, etc. command more.

I would try local sources to sell first as a kilt, second as wool since they contain such a large yardage of wool. I would use them for rugs and found a couple at thrift stores.

Ps: I found they even make "military" cargo kilts. :-)

I would keep at least one. That in front of the fire thing sounds awesome.

I wear kilts about half the time.

When I changed sizes significantly a couple years back, I had no trouble unloading them on EBay and our local community buy/sell/trade group.

Might as well declutter the ones you won't use and let someone else have some fun with 'em :-)

We have only one man’s kilt and it will never be decluttered unless DH dies before me, unlikely.

Even though I chatter at him constantly about unloading crap, that is not one thing that he will be allowed to unload and besides he wouldn’t do that anyway. but that does remind me It has been a while since he wore it so we will have to find an occasion for it

They are expensive, so I would certainly make an effort to give them away if not sell them.

I don’t know about women’s kilts. If they’re made in the same way I guess It might be worth something too. I don’t know. Besides the Men’s kilts you probably have jackets and tops. They are classic so anything made decades ago is still in style.

Honestly, if it were me, I would gather them up and donate them all to my local Scottish heritage society. I assume they would take him but maybe they wouldn’t.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-30-19 at 5:58pm.

We belong to the Scottish society and my husband wants to buy a kilt. There is a big Celtic festival here in May and we volunteered to help. The Irish and Scott’s hold some events together and help each other out.

Thread Information