Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up with IRs-approved e-filing sites?

But we DO owe $2,000+ to our state, so there’s that.

I am not going to complain about my fairly large tax amount because we plan for it all year and are happy to be even when filing. Note that on the same income and approx the same deductions we owe less this year. Our effective tax rate (I think that is what it is called on turbotax) is about 6.5%.

Now our real estate taxes are now going up due to the spike in assessed values. Get it one place or the other.

I think I am losing my mind. It's probably because of all the stress I am under.

I don't qualify for TurboTax free because I cashed a savings bond and had more than $1500 interest.

So...I went to the site for filing for free re: my state. And once again, I'm seeing that I owe $478. I double checked the way I entered the numbers (which was the way I made my error yesterday) and the numbers are fine.

Maybe I'll just pay the $14.99 for the state and be done with it. Before my eyeballs fall out and I have a breakdown.

EDIT: OK, I am on my state's site. I don't owe a penny. Lord love a duck...

I think I am losing my mind. It's probably because of all the stress I am under.

I don't qualify for TurboTax free because I cashed a savings bond and had more than $1500 interest.

So...I went to the site for filing for free re: my state. And once again, I'm seeing that I owe $478. I double checked the way I entered the numbers (which was the way I made my error yesterday) and the numbers are fine.

Maybe I'll just pay the $14.99 for the state and be done with it. Before my eyeballs fall out and I have a breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post

EDIT: OK, I am on my state's site. I don't owe a penny. Lord love a duck...
    Go check with AARP and have your taxes done for free.

I did not know that about the AARP. I've been on the fence about joining, mostly b/c they offer a discount for Ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    I did not know that about the AARP. I've been on the fence about joining, mostly b/c they offer a discount for Ancestry.
    You don't have to belong to AARP to have your taxes done. It is a service provided to all seniors. I found them to do a good job and the price is right ($0)!!! Look to see where you can have it done in your area. All the senior centers in our area have people there to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You don't have to belong to AARP to have your taxes done. It is a service provided to all seniors. I found them to do a good job and the price is right
    Partially because the tax code changed substantially this past year and partially because I want to unload myself of the task of doing my mom's income taxes, I took my mom to the AARP folks at our local community center. It was obviously a bunch of volunteers and clients who had done this for several years because they all knew the drill but didn't seem to think of letting us newbies know what it was. Once we got past that, though, it was efficient and their results squared with what I've come up with over the years. Next year I just get my mom to the site and she's on her own.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We Just got back our tax documents from our CPA.

Now, what I am going to say is going to be shocking to several of you. I think Jp1 will want to bookmark this comment to throw back in my face later, and he would be right. And before I make my statement I would like to point out, in my own defense, that I don’t grouse about the amount of income tax I pay because I dont really know whatbis “fair.” In the past, my complaints were about the growth of the federal government, their irresponsibility, their stupidity in providing certain programs and etc.

here it is: we owe under $500 to the feds this year. Total. That is it. Oh, and plus we got free health insurance all year. Paid $0. What the actual fk.

I honestly do not feel this is a fair citizen contribution to reside in this great country.

But back to my regularly scheduled snark: thank you DJ Trump for these tax cuts. And, as
    DH pointed out, we are doing almost as well with the feds as we would if we were Guatamalan refugees.
    OMG! I'm so touched that you thought of me! I feel very Sally Fields right now. I know you don't "really like me" but I'll pretend...

But seriously, a) I wish I knew what the "right" amount was, and b) I wish the government spent money more efficiently. I sometimes wonder if the difference between fiscal conservatives and liberals is whether one of us has hope that things can be fixed and the other doesn't.

Thread Information