Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April frugals

April frugals

I don’tOften post on the threads because frugality it’s not a big focus for me, yet,I am hardwired to spend according to my values.

I need a new comforter for my bed. The old one is one I pulled out of a dumpster 10-12 years ago . it was very nice and I liked it and it met all my criteria. But now it is dirty and ripped and it needs to be replaced.

I have many criteria: must feel like cotton even if it’s not entirely cotton. The interior must be poly fill. I don’t want any down. I want to see a pleasing pattern and color.

So today I went to Goodwill where there were only two or three comforters but it was the one that fit my criteria. It was regular $11 but today was a red tag sale and it was only $5.50 yay score! It is a pleasing plaid pattern, and it feels very soft.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So today I went to Goodwill where there were only two or three comforters but it was the one that fit my criteria. It was regular $11 but today was a red tag sale and it was only $5.50 yay score! It is a pleasing plaid pattern, and it feels very soft.
    So, I guess the quilt on our bed that I made and quilted is a major investment at $170 plus a few hundred hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    So, I guess the quilt on our bed that I made and quilted is a major investment at $170 plus a few hundred hours.
    I’m sure you’re quilt is lovely! I can’t have anything really nice because my dog sleeps with me and he’s just dirty. I wouldn’t want to have a nice quilt and Have to wash it all the time it would wear it out.Maybe when he goes to doggy heaven…

Iris Lilies, I have old cotton sheets that came from the thrift for 75 cents, one goes over my nice comforter before the dogs join me on the bed. They stay on the sheet because they don't like the feel of the comforter (poly cotton blend). Sheets are easy to wash, and, they are old.

I buy this stuff at Ross pretty cheap.

I have been watching a few episodes of Marie Kondo on Netflix. I have been amazed at the amount of stuff people were cluttering their McMansions with.

I think it is kind of frugal to watch such programs... for example, I now feel pretty good about missing out on collecting baseball cards for 30 years. I never collected them, so I don't need to store them (and they never cluttered my space).

Mind you, potted plants in the sunporch may be borderline clutter!

While on holiday recently, I bought 3 new t-shirts. I am finally clearing out the T's that I have had for 15+ years and donating them. My drawers, one for winter tops and one for summer tops, have more room and I have just enough. I need to go through my sock drawer and simply clear out the excess of them as well. I don't wear out clothes but keep rotating through the same items for years.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    I am patiently waiting for my boss to release me to another location so I can cut my commuting costs. With my recent annual raise it is unlikely I will find a better total compensation package elsewhere given my age. I am seeing ads like must have less than 2 years experience or only recent graduates apply, and at a recent external interview one person was telling me in code language I must be agile etc.
    Last edited by Yppej; 4-2-19 at 5:50am.

Dado potato, I get that same feeling when I look at the photos posted by a local estate sale firm. Every house must be stuffed with "collectibles" or "decorative items" or such. If it goes to auction, most is stuffed in boxes and sold as box lots.

Every time me and the BF go to an Estate Sale (mostly just for a fun thing to do), he points out every single time I end up saying out loud, "Gawd, there is just so much goddamm crap in the world!" Last Sunday's foray into the foothills of Santa Fe found us in an aging doctor's stuffed-to-the-gills garage and outbuildings with anything and everything and the amazing thing was that pretty much everything was priced $25, no matter what it was, unless it was priced $95. Weird! Absolutely no rhym or reason to the pricing and sa lot of it was the usual crud plus some nice art pieces. Neither one of us bought anything. I wonder if anyone bought anything! Thank god I live in a tiny house and can't have anything more than what I have!

Thread Information