Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Inappropriate touching

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Well trump certainly doesn’t understand the times even bragging about grapping women’s crotches. I just hope the Democrats run someone that can actually win.
    And I agree completely. One the one hand, my take is that many women have gone overboard with sensitivity to the tiniest of innocent comments - but here, in the case of Trump's infamous Grab'em comments - yes, this crosses the line, and I most certainly understand this. My question is this - why is the average man crucified but Trump gets a free pass on such comments, shoot, even elected to the highest elected post in the land after making such comments? But an average straight man could easily suffer loss of job, income, economic security, assets, reputation - need I go on?

My point is even application of the standard. Either let up on average men or crucify Trump - no exceptions or there is no true equality. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I agree that everything in this country has gone too far, in one direction or the other. We're a country of spoiled whiners. And the founders of this country had no idea that what they were trying to do would lead to all this.

With their attempts to include everyone and give justice to everyone, we have become a country of so many required/demanded individual justices that it's hard to do so many things, in fear of offending SOMEONE. Yes, rape/sexual assault is unacceptable.....but who decides what all the other stuff is unacceptable? We're a circus, where every single performer is demanding their rights....whether those demands are reasonable or ridiculous. It's all totally out of hand.
    In this country of so much freedom, we've learned that the individual is what's most important and we have learned that we have the right to be offended and demand something to fix it all, all the time. What a mess.
    Cathy A, liberal that I am - I agree with you. I believe various side groups - including the LGBT community and once in awhile, even my fellow 85006 residents (though mostly well meaning) go too damned far.......I find this the case with Feminism 3.0 and I also find this the case sometimes in my Men's Rights Movement participation - too many people are leaning towards the extreme these days.

This last sentence I find so interesting as I'm not completely unaware that there are those here and also in the real world beyond this board who find various beliefs/views I hold extreme. What's amazing to me is that I find other people's views extreme about issues other than those I tend to post on about here ad infinitum. My point is that it's possible for me as someone who is viewed as extreme in some parts to find others extreme. Just interesting to realize this is my point.

So what do we do about this as a society? A lot of Men's Rights Movement guys are all about sitting back with popcorn and watching society slowly collapse.....implication being there can be no change without some type of traumatic forced reset. Is that what will be required for society to snap out of this? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Living in the southwest, thereís lots of hugging. Even from some coworkers. Being a boss, I work hard to never initiate it. But I allow a ďside hugĒ if necessary. Iím naturally comfortable with it, but just want to be sensitive, as being the boss, itís an important consideration.
    In my workplace, there is no hugging and any unnecessary touching is frowned upon. But it's also true that we are in different industries, that may play a part, too. Rob

I agree that things have gone overboard. So ridiculous when a innocent touch like you described could get you in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I agree that things have gone overboard. So ridiculous when a innocent touch like you described could get you in trouble.
    Thank You, TT. Your post here gives me some hope. Thank You. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Other than a handshake I would never consider intentionally touching a coworker or other professional contact. The exception to that is if I am a friend outside of work circumstances with them. For instance the insurance broker I sometimes work with on accounts who has become a close enough friend that SO and I go to parties at her house a few times a year.

It's pretty much the same rule I follow regarding work compliments. Unless it's someone who is my friend outside the office the only compliments I will ever give are work related. "Great presentation this morning!" "Congratulations on winning the mega-corp account." That sort of thing. "Nice hairdo", or "love that dress" or, "damn Ben, those pants really fit your ass well" just aren't appropriate things to say in a work context.
    I agree, jp1. This is one thing that was difficult for me in my years of waiting tables - food and beverage really is a ground zero for sexual harassment - it truly is - and the type of common sense caution that you speak of in your second paragraph until very recently, other than in the most upscale of surroundings, has been disregarded - as if the business were a refuge from these rules of polite society. Lucky for me I'm an introvert and such behavior is alien to me, even on my own time and even in a gay context. Those are lines I am just not going to cross until I trust you - part is my rough past, part is my understanding of society from a young age, part is being an introvert. I came equipped with the common sense to not make inappropriate comments - though part of the problem is that what is considered inappropriate is broadening in reach with every passing day. But I'm with you - I'm never going to comment on any co-workers appearance or attire and almost all communication from me is going to be work related - even the compliments I pass out.

Case in point - we had an extremely, I mean extremely tight turn around last week between Side Hall keynote speakers, plating, and tear down/ set up. I was so amazed that the temp crew pulled it off that I called the temp office and asked if we could give the staff some kind of unexpected reward like gift cards - everyone working that shift was given a $25 giftcard to Best Buy and I and another supervisor held a brief Thank You meeting. That kind of complimentary behavior that builds morale I believe is safe. On the other hand, I would not feel safe singling out a specific employee for exceptional performance these days....not in my work environment. I love and respect myself and will pass on the insane risk this society insists I accept. I may not be able to change it, but I reject it by working around it. Rob