Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "The News" - how do you survive it?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Frugal one, I take it you have the faith that Trump will not be reelected then? I wish I could be so optimistic, but I'm also glad to see this optimism in others......Rob
    I am not a religious person but I am praying that is so!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I second the PBS NewsHour. Current news and good personal interest stories.
    +1

Can I just add that even PBS and other news outlets are still so Washington D.C. centric? It's like 28 minutes of what's happening on Capitol Hill, and maybe 2 minutes of a feel-good story in Nebraska or someplace. Yes, I'm exaggerating, but I think there are interesting things being done at the state and city level that deserve lots more attention than the latest federal happenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Can I just add that even PBS and other news outlets are still so Washington D.C. centric? It's like 28 minutes of what's happening on Capitol Hill, and maybe 2 minutes of a feel-good story in Nebraska or someplace. Yes, I'm exaggerating, but I think there are interesting things being done at the state and city level that deserve lots more attention than the latest federal happenings.
    Don't forget that there is a whole world of activity going on that will impact North America. Where is your source for this?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If you haven't guessed by now, I have avoided this thread, because I tend to avoid the "news".
    I view it similarly to the local newspapers, who give out free papers, so their distribution rates are higher, then charge more to the advertisers and the subscribers, while leaving out things requested by their patrons, and repeating the cycle.
    News does things similar with "coming up" or news that you have read online, days or months before, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Don't forget that there is a whole world of activity going on that will impact North America. Where is your source for this?
    I absolutely agree that the legislative and budgetary and judicial decisions made in Washington D.C. have far-reaching consequences. However, I also see that most of the cultural changes that have happened have been from the bottom-up, so to speak: feminism, civil rights, gay rights, environmentalism, etc. So, I don't have a link to show this D.C. focused news reporting, it's just my perception of what I'm seeing as "news" on a regular basis.

Thread Information