Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The News" - how do you survive it?

My life now...…..I am still working fulltime, hubby is retired.
    He watches FOX news too much especially during dreary weather.
    Which he wants to DISCUSS when I get home.
    Needless to say, I've about discouraged him from bringing up the subjects.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    I find the less news I watch, the more calm I am. I still catch headlines on my computer "splash" page, but only click on a few headlines. On Fridays, I like to tune into the PBS Newshour to catch the two commentators/columnists, Mark Shields and David Brooks, express their opinions on the news of the past weeks. They are erudite, droll, well-informed, and express opposing viewpoints (at times) in a non-combative fashion. And they don't yell...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BiLVPp7DuQ
    peaceful, easy feeling

I don’t have cable. I will watch the local news (WGN) and various news programs on PBS. I listen to a combination of WGN AM, the local all news radio station, NPR, and BBC Radio.

I am a former newspaper reporter. The news doesn’t bother me at all. Keeping up to date is kind of a hobby of mine.

The only time I see cable news is when I am on the recumbent bike at the gym a few days a week.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    The tv news is deplorable. The news/actors interrupt, argue and badger their guests. Who would show up for that! They criticize each other. They mock and make fun of the slightest gaffe. The goal of some is to make non Christian and non white folk look like evil, frightening terrorists. Or to blame everything on Hillary and Obama and talk about all their failed scandals.
    Rumors and conspiracy theories are spread. Ideas are put in people’s heads that they already believe, like Hillary or Trump are crooks or liars.

In the meantime, where is that pesky healthcare that was supposed to be cheaper, cover more people and be comprehansive that Trump promised would happen on day one? I thought Trump had the Daca and LBGT people’s backs? I thought Mueller would lead Trump and his kids away in handcuffs? Where are all the smocking guns?

You mean some of the news was UNTRUE! I’m shocked.

I think Saturday Night Live had a skit years ago when this phenomenon first started. It featured 2 guests of opposite opinions. The liberal guy was a stereotypical professor with bow tie, trying to give academic answers to issues being discussed. The conservative guy was loud, brash, and interrupted and talked over the professor with the moderator's approval. The moderator chastised the professor for not speaking enough, saying "jump in!" while the professor looked overwhelmed... He didn't realize the rules had changed and that TV news was about drama and entertainment, not presenting facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I think Saturday Night Live had a skit years ago when this phenomenon first started. It featured 2 guests of opposite opinions. The liberal guy was a stereotypical professor with bow tie, trying to give academic answers to issues being discussed. The conservative guy was loud, brash, and interrupted and talked over the professor with the moderator's approval. The moderator chastised the professor for not speaking enough, saying "jump in!" while the professor looked overwhelmed... He didn't realize the rules had changed and that TV news was about drama and entertainment, not presenting facts.
    Remember SNL's "Jane, you ignorant slut?" When Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtin performed that in the mid-70s, little did they know how close to 21st century news discourse their satire would become.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Remember SNL's "Jane, you ignorant slut?" When Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtin performed that in the mid-70s, little did they know how close to 21st century news discourse their satire would become.
    It was actually satire of it's current time, based on the recurring 60 Minutes feature "Point-Counterpoint" with Shana Alexander and James J. Kilpatrick.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It was actually satire of it's current time, based on the recurring 60 Minutes feature "Point-Counterpoint" with Shana Alexander and James J. Kilpatrick.
    That's right! Thanks for the reminder.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That's why I like what I call "adult news." No drama, civil discourse.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Now the “national emergency” has been relegated to next year.... Can’t wait for the drama king to be gone!
    Frugal one, I take it you have the faith that Trump will not be reelected then? I wish I could be so optimistic, but I'm also glad to see this optimism in others......Rob

Thread Information