Thread: Quakers

Quakers

I have an on again/off again interest in the Quaker religion and right now I am in the middle of an on again phase. I have been googling meeting places and there are none near me - maybe 100 miles or so is the closest. Have you ever attended a Friends meeting and if so, what was your impression?
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I have not attended a meeting.

As you may be aware, the Ben Lomond Quaker Center has an on-line meeting every day from 7:30 AM to 8:00 AM (Pacific Time). The link explains the protocol about speaking at a meeting-for-worship.

http://www.quakercenter.org/meeting-for-worship

Yppej
    I attended once. No one felt moved to speak the whole meeting, but as soon as it was over they were all socializing at their potluck lunch. They were very nice people. The distance was an issue for me and I didn't go back.

Often when I do one of those Beliefnet quizzes (What religion should you be?) I come up Quaker. I've always been attracted to their values and their devotion to simplicity.

I've only been to a Friends wedding--not an actual Sunday service, but the bride took elements such as "If the spirit moves you, stand and say something about the couple." It was a nice touch.

Maybe I'd consider converting if I could loosen the ties of ingrained Catholicism, but I can't and I don't really want to, even though I'm still a lapsed Catholic. (You can take the girl out of Catholicism but you can't take the Catholicism out of the girl) At the moment I feel no strong pull for affiliation with any organized religion, although I wish I did.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Following because we have a local meeting, and I've always wanted to go. But wondering what to expect. My ancestors were Quakers who came over from Ireland in the 1700s and settled in the Philadelphia area, yet I found when doing research that many were dismissed because of coupling outside of marriage. Scoundrels!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information