Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any non-movie watchers out there?

The ads for Isle of Dogs looked interesting, but I usually end up sobbing through anything with animals in peril (Bambi started that phenomenon off), so I haven't seen it.

Only see one or two movies at the theater in a year. Did see Green Book recently and enjoyed it. I have to confess I do enjoy a good movie AND do subscribe to Netflix for the various tv series. Have to admit there is very little these days that I would pay to see at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Only see one or two movies at the theater in a year. Did see Green Book recently and enjoyed it. I have to confess I do enjoy a good movie AND do subscribe to Netflix for the various tv series. Have to admit there is very little these days that I would pay to see at the show.
    While watching the Oscars - I told my wife, now the Green Books is something I would go watch, but haven't!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The ads for Isle of Dogs looked interesting, but I usually end up sobbing through anything with animals in peril (Bambi started that phenomenon off), so I haven't seen it.
    It is animated, if that makes any difference. And (spoiler alert): the dogs win. (highlight the text to see it)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I enjoyed Isle of Dogs quite a bit and I don't usually like animations. It had pretty much a happy ending and good humor, but maybe a few hints of Bambi phenomena. It was up for an award for the music, which was unique and good.

I haven't been to a theater for years, but there are a few movies I enjoy and can watch at my leisure at home. My video entertainment has gravitated more to what I guess they are calling TV series, like The Handmaid's Tale for example. By my account many of the popular movies are overproduced and have an unrealistic Hollywood view of reality. Other than PBS I could pretty much pull the plug on common network TV. I think they have lost most of the good actors and writers to places like Netflix.

The last two movies I saw in a theater were The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2012) and The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015). Didn't realize until I was looking up the second title that it's been 4 years since I've been in a move theater - LOL. That said, I do like watching movies at home and have a half way decent dvd collection of movies that I enjoy watching numerous times.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We haven't been to the movies in years, also. First, because DH inevitably falls asleep, and second, because we're inevitably disappointed in the value for the money.

I have wanted to go to the movies to see a couple over the past year or two: LaLa Land, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Free Solo, because sometimes the small screen doesn't do justice to big production numbers or the cinematography.

I've still never seen LaLa Land. I saw Free Solo a couple of weeks (at home) ago and was mesmerized. I'd love to see that on IMAX.

DH loves at-home movies though and I will watch if he wants to, but I'm finding I have less patience for sitting on the couch for 2 hours at a time.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I too find it difficult to stay awake - those lights go dim and my eyelids get heavy. My legs also get twitchy and I need to constantly stretch them - to the point I need to get up and walk around a bit. Of course I then miss the "best part of the movie" per my wife!

I'm not sure I have the attention span. Sometimes I think how consuming entertainment is actually a big part of many people's lives and I just realize: wow I don't relate to that at all.

No movies, no t.v. (and so it goes without saying no cable, no netflix, no hula, etc etc.), don't like watching sports either. I couldn't even name most stars. I have (slow) internet, buy used books, listen to some music, because of my partner go to free art events, and non-free plays. And walk in nature, that's the one thing that reliably revives me.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information