Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immigration....is there no more room for political asylium claimants?

As a country we CHOOSE not to be able to house, educate and provide health care for our citizens. There is plenty of money and plenty of space. We just choose not to provide it. Our tax system, our defense budget and industry lobbyists all could be better used to create real jobs, real housing and real health care and infrastructure to support it.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    That was a great line back then, but it's a totally different world/country now.

I wonder if all the people here live in the city or suburbia..........or on an island? I live out in the country, which is the only place I ever want to live. And the development coming this way is just unimaginable. All the small towns are now cities. It really IS unbelievable. So my feelings are........why do we still think it's the early 1900s and why is there never any end to "growth and development" in this country? Again, I liken it to a family who has a couple kids and everything is good (good enough), but they just keep taking in anyone who knocks on their door. What happens to that quality of life that they once had, after there are now 30+ people living in that house? I don't want to fill in all our beautiful empty spaces either. And I don't want to use up even more resources, and crowd out any other species that might find this home.

Like I said, I have the feeling that everyone who thinks we should continue to let everyone and his brother in, doesn't live in an area that is becoming over-crowded, over-built, never enough roads, etc. Like I've said, we can't even feed and educate the people who are already here. Okay....let the flaming begin.
    Cathy, about your first sentence? Not only is it a different world in the United States - the same holds true in another traditionally immigrant heavy country - Argentina. Right after the current right wing President was sworn in, new laws were passed limiting immigration there. This in a country whose Constitution states that "An Argentine is anyone who wishes to be one". NOT ANYMORE. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    There’s a labor shortage. There’s lots of room. Our president is an embarrassment.
    That sums if up for me, yup! Short and sweet. Rob

I agree with Tammy. We are growing like crazy. Lots of empty land.

the housing shortage is far more real than the labor shortage which is complete fiction. If the labor shortage was real would anyone actually be driving for Uber to make a few bucks? Of course not (there are hobbyist but they are likely not much more common than those doing a 9-5 "as a hobby" with no need of money). When you can't get an Uber is when we have a real labor shortage.

As a country we CHOOSE not to be able to house, educate and provide health care for our citizens. There is plenty of money and plenty of space. We just choose not to provide it. Our tax system, our defense budget and industry lobbyists all could be better used to create real jobs, real housing and real health care and infrastructure to support it.
    there is plenty of space maybe, but not if everyone aspires to live in a single family houses near big cities. There is only enough space with density.
    Trees don't grow on money

People rather drive Uber than pick crops. We have a housing shortage.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Is there physical room? You can build apartments to accorddate large numbers of people. There is a lot of land, but are you willing to give up national and state parks and water management lands (wetlands, water delivery), farmland, wildlife habitats, ranges for it?
    Because the big picture of what is happening in our world is just the start

there are about 65 million refugees in the world, and that number is growing per the U.N. people escaping climate change, murderous regimes, poor economic opportunity, and so on. Many areas in the US that saw themselves on fire or under water during this year are living in places where it is iffy to rebuild. They will become the newest people in search of a new home. Miami is slowly being swamped, they even raised some streets.

So the question is, how will the world adapt to this increasing upheaval of people.
    Are we building infrastructure in cities, like mass transit? Are we preparing to provide more people with medical care, schooling, are we repairing aging electrical grids, water delivery and sanitation systems? Is the workplace going to accommodate religious observances, cultural differences and language differences? Can people get from point a to point b without causing massive traffic jams? LA, NYC, Atlanta and so on are a mess at 2 AM, never mind during the day. This is not a US problem, Europe certainly has its struggles too.

No ne wants to see windmills out their windows, live down wind of a nuclear power plant, or in a town with a coal burning power plant. Not to mention garbage. Plastic is swamping our oceans, littering our homes and streets and we will soon have a new mountain range of garbage in this country.

So in a perfect world, countries would band together to say how can we solve our problems? How can we cooperate with other countries so we solve their problems? But our disfunctional governments are an embarrassment and we are all being fools to think these Problems will magically solve themselves.

Please someone come up with soome solutions because I would love to return our country and world to some compassion and sanity. Voting or forcing Trump out will not make these problems go away.

There is definitely physical room but when you think about practical matters like housing, jobs, medical care, schooling for all the children who don't speak English and who are educationally delayed due to their circumstances, etc. it seems overwhelming. They would have to be on public assistance for quite some time as there would be a long adjustment period.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    There is definitely physical room but when you think about practical matters like housing, jobs, medical care, schooling for all the children who don't speak English and who are educationally delayed due to their circumstances, etc. it seems overwhelming. They would have to be on public assistance for quite some time as there would be a long adjustment period.
    and there we go. Hardworking Americans who were born here are vilified and scorned if they have failed to “pull themselves up by the bootstraps” these people not only don’t have boots, they don’t have shoes. they would need help with food, language, housing, transportation and medical care. Imagine how hard it will be to convince our angry frothing at the mouth mobs at MAGA rally’s to put more non citizens on welfare that are not white, possibly not Christian and don’t speak English. Good luck with that.

Yppej
    Young children will learn English in six months. It's adults who struggle.

Thread Information