Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Immigration....is there no more room for political asylium claimants?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Immigration....is there no more room for political asylium claimants?

I understand that Trump stated during his appearance in Calexico, California (right across the border from Mexicali and a great place to base yourself for Mexican dental or medical) that there was "no more room" in America for those claiming political asylum. What's your take on this, agree or disagree? I believe the regulars here can predict my anti Orange One take which precedes me by this point so I will spare the board this. I'm really curious to hear what other think of his statement here and what it means for America. Rob

There’s a labor shortage. There’s lots of room. Our president is an embarrassment.

Seems like there should be plenty of room at the inn.

What Tammy said.

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!” Emma Larzarus

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!” Emma Larzarus

That was a great line back then, but it's a totally different world/country now.

I wonder if all the people here live in the city or suburbia..........or on an island? I live out in the country, which is the only place I ever want to live. And the development coming this way is just unimaginable. All the small towns are now cities. It really IS unbelievable. So my feelings are........why do we still think it's the early 1900s and why is there never any end to "growth and development" in this country? Again, I liken it to a family who has a couple kids and everything is good (good enough), but they just keep taking in anyone who knocks on their door. What happens to that quality of life that they once had, after there are now 30+ people living in that house? I don't want to fill in all our beautiful empty spaces either. And I don't want to use up even more resources, and crowd out any other species that might find this home.

Like I said, I have the feeling that everyone who thinks we should continue to let everyone and his brother in, doesn't live in an area that is becoming over-crowded, over-built, never enough roads, etc. Like I've said, we can't even feed and educate the people who are already here. Okay....let the flaming begin.

CA, I agree that an open border with no limits is not a good idea, but not allowing some people seeking asylum goes against what our country represents in my opinion, as well as current law. Remember when we were against Jewish people seeking asylum in the WWII era.

The people aren't going to disappear. Whether they're using resources in the Midwest, West Coast, or Mexico, they are still going to need housing and other basic necessities, so in terms of environmental impact, you can't say NIMBY because the resources to house and feed people are going to happen regardless so the environmental argument doesn't really apply.

When I drive from New Jersey, the most densely populated state, through eastern PA and then across the state, I'm amazed at how quickly the roads go from urbanized and highly suburban density roads and cities to... nothing! There is a LOT of land in the US, and I only have to drive two hours to feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Urbanization is a trend--they say that more and more people will live in cities. Growth will happen there first. Things are changing, but the growth that bothers me most are the regular rich white people who feel entitled to water their vast precious lawns during droughts and tear down old brownstones to build swimming pools in Manhattan. Immigrants probably leave a much smaller footprint on a per capita basis .
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Footprints can be minimized by foreign aid to refugee camps in other countries. Could we not fund these in Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama for the displaced from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras?

We similarly should be helping Venezuelan refugees in Colombia and Brazil.

Anyone who has enjoyed any of the overflight videos like Over Washington knows that we have plenty of space. This is a vast, vast country--the fact that people like to move and that cities tend to expand does not change that fact. If Trump and his fellow white nationalists have his way and immigration his heavily curtailed (believe me, Norwegians aren't clamoring to emigrate), we'll live to regret it. Immigrants bring new ideas and vigor that only enhance their new country--witness the thousands of immigrant and second-generation scholars and entrepreneurs who are thriving here.

Thread Information