Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immigration....is there no more room for political asylium claimants?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    There is definitely physical room but when you think about practical matters like housing, jobs, medical care, schooling for all the children who don't speak English and who are educationally delayed due to their circumstances, etc. it seems overwhelming. They would have to be on public assistance for quite some time as there would be a long adjustment period.
    Sounds like you're describing what happened after WWII ended. All the soldiers (and sailors, etc) came home, got married, and started cranking out babies galore and the economy went gangbusters. Bring in lots of immigrants and we'll have a building boom with lots of jobs building houses, roads, sewers, schools, new stores, etc. And new residents eager to take those jobs. And the people working those jobs will pay taxes and social security taxes and spend money on other things like food and cars and furniture. Sounds like a win win win to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Sounds like a win win win to me.
    Stop making sense!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Sounds like you're describing what happened after WWII ended. All the soldiers (and sailors, etc) came home, got married, and started cranking out babies galore and the economy went gangbusters. Bring in lots of immigrants and we'll have a building boom with lots of jobs building houses, roads, sewers, schools, new stores, etc. And new residents eager to take those jobs. And the people working those jobs will pay taxes and social security taxes and spend money on other things like food and cars and furniture. Sounds like a win win win to me.
    And higher wages would also go a long way in stimulating the economy. I'm all for your plan!

Ha! I just read this; I couldn't agree more.

Hmmm......."bring in lots of immigrants and we'll have a building boom, with lots of jobs building houses, roads, sewers, schools, new stores, etc." I thought this was a Simple Living forum. I'm still hearing that we need more people, more endless stuff. This is not what I want. I guess we have all kinds of people on this forum, but continually building up, growing more, developing more, and more, etc. sure doesn't sound like simple living to me. Sounds like most of you want this. I'm sure some of you just want to be kind to the less fortunate. But some of you have turned it into getting more of what we already have out of it. That's for sure not what I want for the rest of the life on this planet. Of course I feel bad for many people who are fleeing, but there's a point at which I don't want to live in a place that we're heading for. I find a lot of responses about it fairly naive. We'll just have to see how it all turns out.

I know it would be best if countries could work on this issue together. Since that won’t happen I think we need to be compassionate.

What is the proper population level of the US?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Hmmm......."bring in lots of immigrants and we'll have a building boom, with lots of jobs building houses, roads, sewers, schools, new stores, etc." I thought this was a Simple Living forum. I'm still hearing that we need more people, more endless stuff. This is not what I want. I guess we have all kinds of people on this forum, but continually building up, growing more, developing more, and more, etc. sure doesn't sound like simple living to me. Sounds like most of you want this. I'm sure some of you just want to be kind to the less fortunate. But some of you have turned it into getting more of what we already have out of it. That's for sure not what I want for the rest of the life on this planet. Of course I feel bad for many people who are fleeing, but there's a point at which I don't want to live in a place that we're heading for. I find a lot of responses about it fairly naive. We'll just have to see how it all turns out.
    i see a lot of this type of thinking where I live. Doesn’t everyone have a right to pursue their dream for a nice house, some kids, a garden etc? A chance for a good job?
    Every day I realize how lucky I am, to be born in this country, where even an mixed race orphan can get an education and end up living in a nice house, with plenty to eat and good medical care. I was extremely lucky people stepped up to help me and my siblings. Why should it stop with me? Does it have to stop with me?
    by the way, I did not agree with the tax cuts. I do a lot of volunteer work and I see the need for more money in schools and the need for support systems. You have to give people the tools to better themselves

I do agree with careful screening of immigrants. And deportation of criminals. For the life of me I cannot understand sanctuary cities.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I understand your desire to be a hermit. Sometimes I feel the same way. Probably not as often as you, but occasionally. If I did at your level I'd probably consider moving to central Nevada. I drove through there a few years ago. Trust me, no one's going to be building up suburbs near you if you move anywhere along Route 50 east of Carson City.

But to respond to your questions,

1) whether these people move here or not they still exist and will live somewhere using resources. Simple living isn't about people living simply because they are so impoverished that they can't afford anything it's about living thoughtfully.

2) Every single one of us in this country either descended from a) immigrants, b) African slaves brought here against their will or c) Native Americans (now a very minor subset since the first group did such a great job in killing off most of them). For a nation of immigrants, that has succeeded wildly, to now say "shut the door! I've got mine! Eff everyone else." is tragically selfish.

Thread Information