Thread: Candida auris, now in NY, NJ and IL

Candida auris, now in NY, NJ and IL

Candida auris is a fungus that can be fatal, especially for people whose immune systems are compromised. Anti-fungal agents do not kill it. CDC reported 309 cases in NY, 109 in NJ and 144 in IL... mainly in hospitals and nursing homes.

Perhaps widespread use of agricultural fungicides created an opportunity for C. auris population to increase, as other fungi were suppressed. One could say "the creature from the Black Lagoon" has less competition in the environment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/he...ida-auris.html

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Candida auris is a fungus that can be fatal, especially for people whose immune systems are compromised. Anti-fungal agents do not kill it. CDC reported 309 cases in NY, 109 in NJ and 144 in IL... mainly in hospitals and nursing homes.

Perhaps widespread use of agricultural fungicides created an opportunity for C. auris population to increase, as other fungi were suppressed. One could say "the creature from the Black Lagoon" has less competition in the environment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/he...ida-auris.html
    Garlic....I'm going to have to start consuming raw garlic again as I deal with the general public. Garlic can kill off almost anything though this fungus as I understand is especially resistant to western medicine. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Garlic....I'm going to have to start consuming raw garlic again as I deal with the general public. Garlic can kill off almost anything though this fungus as I understand is especially resistant to western medicine. Rob
    The only effect garlic will have on this is to keep people away from you, which may lessen your chances of coming into contact with someone who has been colonized by it.

Good luck.

Raw garlic is apparently amazingly effective in vitro:
    https://home.howstuffworks.com/garlic10.htm

I'm not sure how that translates to garlic in vivo.

But thanks for reminding me to eat more garlic; I've been slacking off lately. .

This scares me a bit. I work at an assisted living facility, where the residents are often returning from hospitals or rehab places. A few years ago we quarantined the residents for two weeks for a norovirus bug, a nuisance but not deadly like this fungus.

I have come to the conclusion that hospitals are cesspools for infections and they should be avoided at all costs.

Time and time again I hear of people going in for some "procedure" and getting a serious infection of some sort. The last being a neighbor who recently died in his 40's of the flesh eating bacteria. I really don't think modern hospitals have a gasp on the problem nor do I think patients eat a healthy enough diet that will really boost their immune system. Unfortunately a deadly combination.

My sister and husband both work in hospitals, so this is really scary.

Thread Information