Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What to do about all that stupid fancy stuff??

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, my kids are here this weekend and they have been SOOO helpful! They made a serious dent in the garage--we've sorted and grouped and trashed. They've gone through their boxes and ditched what they don't want and will take back to Vermont the things they do. Plus they're coming down again to take stuff back up in a U-Haul.

I found a box of sterling silver flatware.. darn it.
    cafherine! The sterling is like cash money! Sell it sell it sell it!

Yes IL is right!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    ... Bought low, stayed low, and survived the implosion. ….
    My financial philosophy in a nutshell ...

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    cafherine! The sterling is like cash money! Sell it sell it sell it!
    Without knowing the pattern, the sterling flatware could be sold for melt value. It is easy to bundle up a set of flatware and mail it off to a silver buyer.

A teaspoon will bring $10-$12 melt value at today’s prices of $15 per ounce.

Without knowing the pattern, the sterling flatware could be sold for melt value. It is easy to bundle up a set of flatware and mail it off to a silver buyer.

A teaspoon will bring $10-$12 melt value at today’s prices of $15 per ounce.
    Really! Wow! I have to really take a good look and see how many are sterling I have. A lot are monogrammed so I couldn't sell them as flatware anyway.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I need to back away from this thread. Silver is addictive to me. I have very little and know even less. But still, I like it all!

Anyways—depending on the pattern, date of manufacture, and collectibility, monograms are not necessarily a bad thing. Some collectors like ‘em.

I need to back away from this thread. Silver is addictive to me. I have very little and know even less. But still, I like it all!

Anyways—depending on the pattern, date of manufacture, and collectibility, monograms are not necessarily a bad thing. Some collectors like ‘em.
    Let me know if you need/want any for Hermann. I have serving spoons as well as mismatched forks, spoons and knives.

I'll make a project of cleaning it up (it's easy to do with aluminum foil and baking powder baths) and then seeing what's what.

I started using my beloved great-aunt's silver flatware in Grand Isle, and I love it--hers is monogrammed and I love seeing her initials. It forces me to think of her every day.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Let me know if you need/want any for Hermann. I have serving spoons as well as mismatched forks, spoons and knives.

I'll make a project of cleaning it up (it's easy to do with aluminum foil and baking powder baths) and then seeing what's what.

I started using my beloved great-aunt's silver flatware in Grand Isle, and I love it--hers is monogrammed and I love seeing her initials. It forces me to think of her every day.
    Naw, but thanks for the offer! I sold the family silver, keeping only my own set.

In Hermann I use a set of family silverplate.

When I was looking up silver prices for this thread I saw the prices of the late 1970s. I remember my mom saying “the silverware in this house is worth more than this house” and I’ll she was probably right because she had 3+ sets of sterling that I know of. And it was a little ranch house she lived in.

Tangential to this discussion is what people are doing to silverplate Tea sets. They have no value so the artsy crafty girls are painting them up to look like Alice in wonderland/ mackenzie
    Childs sort of things,cute and I like the trend.

8DC959D9-D7E5-496E-8742-3DE7859035C1.jpg

09CD99ED-ED30-463B-B73D-65141E340EA5.jpg

Donate the china/decorative items. Sell the sterling.

Naw, but thanks for the offer! I sold the family silver, keeping only my own set.

In Hermann I use a set of family silverplate.

When I was looking up silver prices for this thread I saw the prices of the late 1970s. I remember my mom saying “the silverware in this house is worth more than this house” and I’ll she was probably right because she had 3+ sets of sterling that I know of. And it was a little ranch house she lived in.

Tangential to this discussion is what people are doing to silverplate Tea sets. They have no value so the artsy crafty girls are painting them up to look like Alice in wonderland/ mackenzie
    Childs sort of things,cute and I like the trend.

8DC959D9-D7E5-496E-8742-3DE7859035C1.jpg

09CD99ED-ED30-463B-B73D-65141E340EA5.jpg
    I love MacKenzie-Childs! I've bought little things I can afford like their tea towels. Most of the stuff is a fortune.

Thread Information