Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do about all that stupid fancy stuff??

What to do about all that stupid fancy stuff??

So now we have BIL trying to drastically declutter the stuff he's had in a POD since he moved so that he can go out to San Diego.

And we have DH and I, also drastically decluttering stuff so we can move up to VT.

And DH still isn't that great health wise.

Can anyone say "overwhelm"?

I do have 3 kids coming to help over the next couple weeks and I think I kind of have it under control, BUT...

Both DH and I have inherited tons of nice china, silverware, and figurines and we don't know what to do with it. Yes, we can do Replacements.com, but they don't just take all the boxes, you have to send them what they're buying, which is bits and pieces of stuff.

For those of you who have done big decluttering (thinking of you, Teacher Terry) what have you done with this fancy-schmancy stuff that our mothers loved, but now no one does?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So now we have BIL trying to drastically declutter the stuff he's had in a POD since he moved so that he can go out to San Diego.

And we have DH and I, also drastically decluttering stuff so we can move up to VT.

And DH still isn't that great health wise.

Can anyone say "overwhelm"?

I do have 3 kids coming to help over the next couple weeks and I think I kind of have it under control, BUT...

Both DH and I have inherited tons of nice china, silverware, and figurines and we don't know what to do with it. Yes, we can do Replacements.com, but they don't just take all the boxes, you have to send them what they're buying, which is bits and pieces of stuff.

For those of you who have done big decluttering (thinking of you, Teacher Terry) what have you done with this fancy-schmancy stuff that our mothers loved, but now no one does?
    For the love of God, donate it. If you don’t love it and are not taking it with you to Vermont, donate it.

Do not spend your precious life energy trying to sell it. There is little to no market for it. Maybe you can find someone who will haul it all away and give you a little money, but that is impossible for me to know your local market.

And do not look back because the places where you donate it may pitch it.

Also you must understand that your fine China may not have a market at all. You mentioned Replacements but it costs so much to send dinnerware to them. And you have to check and make sure that Replacements even wants your patterns.

If you have sterling silver of course that is worth something, silver is always worth something. Sell thst to one of the silver pattern places including Replacements. the rest of it probably not worth much of anything.

And I hate figurines with a passion, I just hate them and think they are dumb.

I would use my “fine China “except that it has a gold edge and that stuff wears in the dishwasher and can’t be used in the microwave oven. If I was into handwashing dishes I would start using them. I think probably after we moved to Hermann, and we maintain an apartment in the city I will just use them in the city apartment for daily dishes.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-8-19 at 2:01pm.

Listen to Iris Lilies!

Find a charity that you want to support that has a thrift shop and DONATE it. If "no one wants it", why spend life energy on it? If you want to ask someone else in your area, go talk to one or several auctioneers. They will give you the reality of stuff.

We are in the decluttering stage and several big boxes are getting filled with things that have been in closets for decades. It is all going to a garage sale held by our local animal shelter.

Either donate to a charity thrift shop or hire an estate sales person if you want some money for it. Selling bit by bit is not something you want to do if you are moving anytime soon. I hemmed and hawed about that kind of stuff when we moved and even ended up packing a few boxes of it. It's still in boxes and I don't even remember what it is. It is so liberating to get rid of it.

Catherine, I suspect your brother-in-law and maybe your husband to will be concerned about all the money they’re losing if you all just donate your stuff.

People who have that idea live in fantasyland.Vast majority of factory made items, especially fine dining items. Are worthless because there is no market for them.

I was gonna post some pictures but it’s too much trouble so I’ll just tell you: there are businesses that encourage people to think their crap is worth money. Just recently the website 1st Dibs pushed some pictures of Chinese pottery to my Facebook page. I was astonished. These are the same pots that I have on my kitchen cupboards and in my living room. According to 1st Dibs I own about $35,000 worth of Chinese pottery.

hahaha

hahahaha....

Oh, and if you say well those are antique pots on that site, Iris, and you have reproduction pots let me assure you that no they are exactly the same thing as the pots I have. they probably came from the same damn factory and were manufactured about 30 years ago.

It is all a big joke.
    hahaha...

But I am not stupid, I know I can probably sell it for all I don’t know maybe $250? When the time comes we will donate it all to the Lafayette Park Conservancy sale. Actually, this year I was going to start donating a few of the pots but because we are on house tour I’ll keep them for another year. But next year they are going to the LPC sale.

Thanks, IL (and bae and pinkytoe, and sweetana).

There is a profound sense of freedom in thinking about doing exactly what you say. So, there it is. I'll probably give it to the Vietnam Vets. I give to them regularly and they pick up and they take a lot of different things.

Good riddance to it, I say.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I donated it to a husky thrift store. My hummels were worthless. Because I wasn’t in a hurry I gave away my doll collection slowly to silent auctions for a good cause.

Much of the stuff that my mom collected went right back to the charity consignment antique shop she volunteered in. The bulk of the other collections were sold during the estate sale and what was left went into a ritzy vintage consignment shop. It depends on what you have and what the market is interested in but we did very well with my parents stuff. I also had the benefit of time because I moved my dad out of the house and we had months to plan how and where we were going to sell the massive amounts of stuff. They collected very specific and rare items for the most part and donating was not an option. We had to call in a pro to help with research.

Give away or donate. We still have a somewhat active freecycle in our area, so if someone is actually taking the time to come pick something up, I have a good guess that it is continuing to be used. I like the idea of that.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information