Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My World is Shrinking

My World is Shrinking

I just realized my world is shrinking and never thought it would happen to me. So 4 years ago while power walking my big dog the sidewalk was uneven and I tripped and had a head injury. So I slowed down. Then my husband was gone and I fell outside on the ice when taking the dogs to pee which was at night and very cold. What if I had hit my head and been out there all night? Luckily I only broke my wrist and was able to get the dogs inside.

Pobrecita! A fall and a broken wrist to mend is truly unfortunate.

Take care now.

You might like to think about Mehitabel the cat.... there's a dance in the old dame yet. toujours gai, archie. toujours gai.

Yppej
    This is why I do not have a dog now.

I'm sorry, Terry. Hope you mend quickly.

So sorry to hear of your challenges and hope that your recovery rebuilds your confidence. It is a battle that each of us will face.

I am examining or have examined my world after my dog died. After a lot of thought, I realized that what others see as major obstacles, I can accept and agree with OR as I have done in every other part of my life, vigorously review my personal behaviour management practices.

So, I am now going to add to my household a 9 month-old beagle. He is much smaller than my previous dog, I have two crates, one in my living room and BR for keeping him safe and secure; a dog walker as needed; a friend who will dog-sit when needed; I will get my hour and half walks as per usual with him; and I get his company throughout my day as well as get to play daily with a delightful little guy.

I do not underestimate the concern about falling on ice or other similar challenges but my small yard and house are suitable for my long-term activities for the next 20 years. That is why I bought it. Life is full of surprises but I live each day without borrowing tomorrow's problems.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I hope you heal quickly, TT.
    Here's a recent article about the jump in serious injuries to seniors who are walking their leashed dogs:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/3090053002/

I know pets are important but I like razz's thoughtful approach on pet ownership and management.

I love you all for walking your dogs!

I have a breed that is notoriously lazy, so the only dog walking I do is for some of our foster dogs. Our last foster guy who needed walking was two years ago.

Razz, that is so great that you are getting another dog! Beagles are extremely cute.

My much older SIL (in St Louis) was telling me how this past winter they actually crawled out the front door to get the newspaper out of fear of slipping on the ice.
    I am reading a book now written by an 80 something yr old which is about the shrinking of one's world - Measure of My Days.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My much older SIL (in St Louis) was telling me how this past winter they actually crawled out the front door to get the newspaper out of fear of slipping on the ice.
    I am reading a book now written by an 80 something yr old which is about the shrinking of one's world - Measure of My Days.
    yes, my friend fell and broke her wrist in the most recent ice storm here in St. Louis. Crawling is a good adaptation to ice.

Crawling is out for me; I'd have to call 911 to get back on my feet. Fortunately, we have little ice or snow.

Thread Information