Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My World is Shrinking

Maltese will only walk in good weather. They do have potty pads but I have to take them out at bedtime and first thing in the morning or they will just pee anywhere. My house and yard are designed for aging in place. Great Razz you got a dog. It just really sucks that this is happening at65.

And it does not take dogs or ice or snow. A friend slipped on some steps and fell so heavily on the sidewalk that she broke both bones in her upper thigh between a replaced hip and knee. The only good thing was she did not damage either of them. However, it was a 57 staple surgery and many months of being bed ridden. She now needs a bone graft because part is not healing. If not for her husband and two grown daughters, she would have spent the time in a rehab or nursing home.

A friend took his second fall on his steeply sloped property this winter. He never takes his cellphone when out walking the dog, this time he did. For some reason he called several people before calling 911. He had shattered his leg and tried to crawl back to the house and couldn't make it. He is in a rural area and was going into hypothermia by the time the ambulance got there. They are now selling their house and moving back into town. My husband still suffers from a bit of vertigo post stroke and can feel like a weeble. He got a prong collar for our largest (95lb) dog who tends to pull so he could more easily keep his balance. We just started Tai Chi to work on our balance and one of the exercises is learning how to fall to lessen the chance of injury. My son who is an EMT/Firefighter is always over here looking for tripping hazards and slippery wood stairs. He lives in fear of me breaking a hip. My MIL just broke her hip a couple of days ago by missing her chair by a couple of inches.

We tried tai chi thinking it would be good for us. At the end of the hour my husband’s knees were killing him and I had thrown my back out badly. It took a month and a bunch of chiropractic trips before I felt better.

I love bigger dogs, like Labs, or like my Border Collie mix. But I, too, have been seriously considering what I would get if we were to get another dog (which we inevitably will, when the time is right.)

I really don't think I want another big, high energy dog, but DH does. I think I need to pull rank on this, though, since I'm the family dog-walker. I'd also like to consider a dog that doesn't shed. I'm sick of dog hair all over the place.

Terry, I hope your wrist heals quickly!! Falls are so scary.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks Catholic. Maltese, poodles, yorkies and shitzu’s don’t shed.

For the fun of it I went onto a "What dog breed should I get" website, and they suggested Wheaten Terrier, Schnauzer, and Lagotto Romangnolo (??? what the heck is that?)

I've always loved Wheaten Terriers, so that's a possibility I guess. Here's the link in case anyone is interested. I like it because you can narrow it down to different categories before you even start the quiz.

https://www.selectadogbreed.com/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We got an Irish (Setter) doodle in December. Our other big lug is 9yrs and has always been high strung. We thought the pup might mellow her out and serve as good company and she in turn could help train the little. Well...………. it wasn't love at first sight but now they are inseparable. They are a riot together and the little has put mucho spring back into the bigger's steps. The pup has been steadily gaining at least 2lbs a week. Both her parents are 75lbs so we shall see. Her feet are bigger than the older dog who is a Newfie/German Shepherd mix and is 95lbs. I prefer a bigger dog because I like walking on the trails in our area and feel a bit safer even though the Newfie would do a Scooby doo in a heartbeat if somebody pushed it. She at least looks like she could be protective. Doodle bugs is nothing more than an adorable comic sidekick. The Newfie sheds like there is no tomorrow, the doodle not at all.

Thanks for the link, Cath.

It recommends that I should get a Beaglier, a cross of a Beagle and a Cavalier King Charles spaniel. My little Benny which/who I will pick up from the breeder tomorrow is a Beagle so I am on the right track. I had looked at spaniels but having experienced the care required in our little Cocker Spaniel years ago, I prefer a short-haired dog like a Beagle with a double layer of hair so more tolerant of cold weather but easy to groom.

When TT posted above that Maltese need good weather, I had not thought that dogs were that sensitive so learned something new about dogs. I had thought that Chihuahuas were cold sensitive but was told that they can tolerate cold temps very well but nor for prolonged time.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The Maltese wear sweaters in the house in the winter. They don’t do well in heat either. Delicate flowers) We had beagles growing up and they are high energy great family dogs. However, they are escape artists so check your fence really well.

Thread Information