Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Julian Assange

Julian Assange

Having been one of the most trying houseguests in modern memory, Ecuador has passed him on to the UK. Is he a bold journalist persecuted for speaking truth to power? Or a criminal whose theft and reckless publication of secrets have endangered many good people?

"Or" is so Manichean.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    "Or" is so Manichean.
    Had to look up 'Manichean' - so he is a highly conflicted individual and triggers those feelings and views of him as being a combo or good and evil.

Perhaps I am not fully understanding this word but it strikes me that the word could apply to a number of individuals.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Had to look up 'Manichean' - so he is a highly conflicted individual and triggers those feelings and views of him as being a combo or good and evil.

Perhaps I am not fully understanding this word but it strikes me that the word could apply to a number of individuals.
    My interpretation of bae's post is that the way LDAHL posed the question is dualistic in nature. Couldn't Assuange be both? Isn't the assumption that he's one or the other a false dichotomy?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My interpretation of bae's post is that the way LDAHL posed the question is dualistic in nature. Couldn't Assuange be both? Isn't the assumption that he's one or the other a false dichotomy?
    That’s true. He could be a tinfoil hatted crank with extensive resources. Or a dupe of hostile intelligence services. Or a narcissist with a strong need to play the victim. Or a semiprofessional mischief maker. Or one of those idealists who don’t care who they hurt as they pursue the greater good. Or just another hack looking to monetize outrage.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    All those years of living inside a small space was th people who don’t want you there has taken its toll on him. Good or bad he was arrested? Time will tell as attorneys will make a fortune arguing.

Yppej
    Don't forget sexual predator, if women in Sweden are to be believed.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That’s true. He could be a tinfoil hatted crank with extensive resources. Or a dupe of hostile intelligence services. Or a narcissist with a strong need to play the victim. Or a semiprofessional mischief maker. Or one of those idealists who don’t care who they hurt as they pursue the greater good. Or just another hack looking to monetize outrage.
    Considering that most things are not black nor white my guess is that he’s a little bit all of those. Just like how donny and marie were both a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Considering that most things are not black nor white my guess is that he’s a little bit all of those. Just like how donny and marie were both a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.
    At the time, nobody believed they were really much of either. Maybe Assange will be doing infomercials in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I have had only one Scotch this evening, but this comment is Gold.

Thread Information