Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Julian Assange

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,871

    Julian Assange

    Having been one of the most trying houseguests in modern memory, Ecuador has passed him on to the UK. Is he a bold journalist persecuted for speaking truth to power? Or a criminal whose theft and reckless publication of secrets have endangered many good people?

  2. #2
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,695
    "Or" is so Manichean.

  3. #3
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,474
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    "Or" is so Manichean.
    Had to look up 'Manichean' - so he is a highly conflicted individual and triggers those feelings and views of him as being a combo or good and evil.

    Perhaps I am not fully understanding this word but it strikes me that the word could apply to a number of individuals.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  4. #4
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    9,292
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Had to look up 'Manichean' - so he is a highly conflicted individual and triggers those feelings and views of him as being a combo or good and evil.

    Perhaps I am not fully understanding this word but it strikes me that the word could apply to a number of individuals.
    My interpretation of bae's post is that the way LDAHL posed the question is dualistic in nature. Couldn't Assuange be both? Isn't the assumption that he's one or the other a false dichotomy?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My interpretation of bae's post is that the way LDAHL posed the question is dualistic in nature. Couldn't Assuange be both? Isn't the assumption that he's one or the other a false dichotomy?
    Thatís true. He could be a tinfoil hatted crank with extensive resources. Or a dupe of hostile intelligence services. Or a narcissist with a strong need to play the victim. Or a semiprofessional mischief maker. Or one of those idealists who donít care who they hurt as they pursue the greater good. Or just another hack looking to monetize outrage.

  6. #6
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,430
    All those years of living inside a small space was th people who don’t want you there has taken its toll on him. Good or bad he was arrested? Time will tell as attorneys will make a fortune arguing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,746
    Don't forget sexual predator, if women in Sweden are to be believed.

  8. #8
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Thatís true. He could be a tinfoil hatted crank with extensive resources. Or a dupe of hostile intelligence services. Or a narcissist with a strong need to play the victim. Or a semiprofessional mischief maker. Or one of those idealists who donít care who they hurt as they pursue the greater good. Or just another hack looking to monetize outrage.
    Considering that most things are not black nor white my guess is that heís a little bit all of those. Just like how donny and marie were both a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Considering that most things are not black nor white my guess is that heís a little bit all of those. Just like how donny and marie were both a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.
    At the time, nobody believed they were really much of either. Maybe Assange will be doing infomercials in a few years.

  10. #10
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,307
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Considering that most things are not black nor white my guess is that he’s a little bit all of those. Just like how donny and marie were both a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.
    I have had only one Scotch this evening, but this comment is Gold.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •