Thread: What kind of Kale do you like to grow?

What kind of Kale do you like to grow?

I guess I'm used to the curly Kale I buy in the store. I'm growing some this year and the only organic seeds I found were the smooth kind. Does it make much difference in flavor?

Tea
    I actually prefer the flavor of flat/smooth kale. It tends to be less bitter. And it's also nice to be able to more easily look the leaves over for the occasional caterpillar who might be dwelling on them, as those little guys can really hide in the folds of curly kale when it comes time to harvest it. I used to grow both, just because I liked the look of the curly variety, but eventually I decided it wasn't worth the bother. I don't think you will be disappointed in what you bought.

Thanks Tea. I was thinking the same thing about being able to clean it more thoroughly. And I do find that sometimes the curly kind is bitter. I feel better now about having bought the smooth kind. Thanks!

I've grown a couple varieties of the curly kind - that seems to be more winter-hardy, and will even survive the Minnesota winter if covered with leaves and snow. That makes for faster kale in the spring (I harvest all remaining leaves at the first snow, but leave the roots). Collards are similarly hardy. I've also grown the 'Red Russian' cultivar that has smooth leaves, and I like its flavor better, but not so much better that I don't grow the curly type. My favorite kale is the lacinato, and I did try growing it one year but had poor germination. So I buy that at the store this time of year, when I've used all the kale I froze in the previous growing season but our garden isn't even seeded yet for the coming summer.

My garden has become more shady over the years and greens are one of the things that don't mind, so I grow lots of them!

Thanks Rosemary!

Thread Information