Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transitioning hobby to teaching

transitioning hobby to teaching

So with the crochet work, I have realized that actually making things for people is not sustainable at all. However the teaching is wonderful and rewarding. The place I have been teaching is not working out, I have not had students for many of the scheduled classes.

I found that Michael's stores will have you teach there and you get 70% of the class fees. I went to put in a proposal and found that it would be helpful to get my instagram actually going. I need a new profile picture and some project pictures. Possibly a web site at some point.

I also saw that JoAnn fabrics has teacher opportunities but their website is being crappy to me.

So much to do really,

I meant to mention this earlier, and I'm sorry that it slipped my mind. My sister took a 1-day crochet class at Joanne's and I was thinking that might be a good venue for you.

I went by jo anns and talked to someone. They have contract teaching and they also have a position for educational coordinator. It is 8 hours a week, with my schedule not theirs, sounds like minimal pay but i would have first dibs on teaching and creating classes. I looked over their class offerings and could teach over half of them right now. The ones with frosting or advanced knitting and quilting are beyond my skill set.

The lady i talked to is filling in for this position so she offered to bake me snacks if i take the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I went by jo anns and talked to someone. They have contract teaching and they also have a position for educational coordinator. It is 8 hours a week, with my schedule not theirs, sounds like minimal pay but i would have first dibs on teaching and creating classes. I looked over their class offerings and could teach over half of them right now. The ones with frosting or advanced knitting and quilting are beyond my skill set.

The lady i talked to is filling in for this position so she offered to bake me snacks if i take the job.
    It would be a fun way to meet new people that have a craft interest.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

And snacks. What’s not to like?

seriously, take the job. What’s the worst thing that could happen? You get fired? You realize it was a mistake and quit?

i had a great conversation with my daughter today. She has a really good job and she loves it. Her dh is a teacher and has been complaining about many aspects of his job recently.

she told him “look, you don’t have to work. So teach like you don’t care if you get fired. Then you will either love your job and get to be an amazing teacher, or you will get fired and not have to deal with all that anymore. Then you can take some time to relax and figure out what you want to do next.”

I know! I am working on pulling together all my stuff for this, Since my class was cancelled tomorrow I have some time.

At my group tonight (we meet every 13th) someone described having tried crochet, made a few hats, and then dropping it. My perfect student. I need to made up some new business cards, renting a room at the library is very affordable and private lessons can be at a coffee shop even.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    And snacks. What’s not to like?

seriously, take the job. What’s the worst thing that could happen? You get fired? You realize it was a mistake and quit?

i had a great conversation with my daughter today. She has a really good job and she loves it. Her dh is a teacher and has been complaining about many aspects of his job recently.

she told him “look, you don’t have to work. So teach like you don’t care if you get fired. Then you will either love your job and get to be an amazing teacher, or you will get fired and not have to deal with all that anymore. Then you can take some time to relax and figure out what you want to do next.”
    Wow, what a difference a year makes. Hope dh at least found good in the lockdown days.

There was a British guy in his late thirties-early forties or so who was a math teacher and left and went into standup comedy --- seems to make a good living.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    All your ideas are good. I like the idea of the eight hour coordinator job too. Would you get a store discount? I did some teaching at Joanne’s and a quilt store years ago.

I teach quilting and many people just like to have a little guidance and more than anything like to sit and chat while they work. Building a base of repeaters would be great.

Think about having some quick holiday or seasonal related projects. Or quick gifts. Like an endless scarf, washing cloths, crochet Christmas small stockings to tuck money in, hats (local school colors) market bags, baskets or covered boxes Amiguri animals. An absolute beginner class might be popular.

You will know quickly if it is worth your time.

I agree with selling stuff. People barely want to pay for materials.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    By the way I haven’t seen you post for a while. I hope you and your family are well.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    By the way I haven’t seen you post for a while. I hope you and your family are well.
    This is an old thread.

Thread Information