Thread: shopping for grand-baby

shopping for grand-baby

I got the cutest ballet slippers for grandbaby at a Payless store (they are all closing). I found a super cute skort for her too. Then i was talking to her on the phone (as much as you can at 2) and she is NOT interested in potty training at all. I found peppa pig training underwear, cotton ones with extra layers of padding. I had an amazon gift card to use as well.

I was reflecting on the ways that things used to be with my mother. It was so different when my kids were growing up. She sent Easter baskets, Christmas stockings, outfits for every holiday and family photo. I looked through old photo albums, I have one that is all the formal family photos, and ALL the outfits were purchased by my mother until my oldest was 13. I asked her not to do this forever. I suggested that she send things that I could add to a basket or stocking but she didn't listen. So I am cautious to overdo it with my grandbaby. I am not close to that right now But I want to take her hiking and camping.

I think taking her hiking and camping, ie experiences with her grandma... is what she will remember you for.

My kids remember all the fun things my mom did with them and not what she bought them. That’s how I remember my grandparents too.

My grandsons treasure the quilts I made them through the years. And the wooden blocks that lived at my house. And they will talk endlessly about the dogs I rescued and how I taught them to love and care for animals. And that we planted carrot seeds at my house and they got to eat the carrots later. And they all vividly remember the time they were all yelling orders at the drive-thru at McDonalds. They were 4, 5, and 7. I told them to stop yelling and let me order, or we were leaving. They kept on yelling; I drove right on through and home. They had PBJ for dinner. After that, they paid close attention to my requests and reminded each other!

I did buy clothes, mostly along the lines of "Hey Mom, jeans are on sale at XXX, can you stop on your way home and get size..." (I lived much closer to the mall) I always asked what she wanted them to have for Christmas and birthdays. Those respectful considerations went a long way towards being an integral part of the kids lives.

I remember my grandfather trying to teach me the violin, showing me his old WWI photos, and seeing his trailer. We only saw him twice when we were growing up but those times he lived a summer in Alaska in his trailer in our backyard. All I remember of my grandmother was her playing cards with Mom and being grumpy. Again, we only saw her a few times when she came to Alaska.

I think being with the kids and being a friendly person to do things with is so much more!!! important than any thing you could buy them. Even simple things like taking them to the park, to hike, to learn about flowers, to crochet, etc. will be what they grow up remembering.

Yes - following their lead in what they enjoy is the best fun. I know more about the titanic than I ever thought possible, due to my 5 yr old grandsons ongoing 2-3 yr focus on that topic.

We build them out of cardboard. We float them in the kiddie pool. We sink them while he sings “nearer my god to thee”. We act out rose and jack saying goodby. We watch the movie. We make videos of his sinking cardboard ships. His bday cake was a titanic. We draw pictures. We watch you tube. All creations have to be referenced with online photos to be sure they are accurate. It goes on and on ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Yes - following their lead in what they enjoy is the best fun. I know more about the titanic than I ever thought possible, due to my 5 yr old grandsons ongoing 2-3 yr focus on that topic.

We build them out of cardboard. We float them in the kiddie pool. We sink them while he sings “nearer my god to thee”. We act out rose and jack saying goodby. We watch the movie. We make videos of his sinking cardboard ships. His bday cake was a titanic. We draw pictures. We watch you tube. All creations have to be referenced with online photos to be sure they are accurate. It goes on and on ...
    I love the way five-year-olds have hyperfocus on things. How refreshing that he is not doing dinosaurs but is doing the titanic instead.

Maybe he was a passenger/observer of the Titanic disaster in a previous life?

Shipwrecks are fascinating! Try getting him interested in Great Lakes wrecks (my passion)!

Tradd, I grew up an hour from Lake Michigan and we went to South Haven pretty much every week. I love the balance of burning hot sand and water so cold you go numb.

I remember my grandfather watching the Olympics with me in his basement and eating bugels. They always had garden fresh tomatoes sliced with dinner. I remember visiting my grandmother in northern Iowa and my step-grandfather going into the lake up to his chest so he didn't have to take off his glasses. My grandmother showed me the basics of the piano and I taught myself that summer.

I know that grandbaby is already super interested in cars, both dad and mom are car people. So I am always looking for car things. Plus they are geeky like me. I made everyone melty bead projects and put magnets on the back for a holiday gift. She saw the tardis and asked to watch Dr Who, but daddy was with her so he talked her into Star Wars!

Thread Information