Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: How did your taxes turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Clearly we have billions of dollars going to social welfare programs. Once again, my tax burden is dismissed as in adequate on this website. And I will ask the question: just how much exactly do I have to pay to make y’all happy?

To be fair, I think my federal tax burden was pretty damn low this year, But my state tax burden was pretty damn high, so there you go.
    I'm not interested in YOUR money, IL.

I think the answer to how much do we need--it's not a matter of bleeding hard-working people dry. It's a matter of a) establishing priorities as a nation and b) providing checks against all the wealth settling into the hands of just a few people. I truly believe that when capitalism is left to its own devices it's like a Monopoly game--eventually we're all turning in our houses and our measly Mediterranean Avenue so that somebody can build hotels on Park Place.

I just want everyone to win at Monopoly. But we have more and more people winding up with most of the wealth. I know the argument is "It's their money," but as a nation of citizens do we want what's best for everyone, or do we want the natural laws of capitalism to benefit just a few? It's their money but they didn't do it on their own. What is wrong with a progressive tax rate that asks a little more of the wealthiest people?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My husband's father was indentured out to farm work instead of school in the USA as a child and his wages were turned over to his parents. Affected his whole life and this probably in the late 1930s.

After my grandma’s mother died the dad sold the 2 youngest to a orphanage when they were 8 and 12. They ate bread with lard on it and water while there was better food for the workers. My grandma was 12 so they boarded her out to farms to be a maid in the house. No wages. The same with her 8 yo sister once she turned 10. My grandfather’s mom died and the dad had 4 small children with the youngest only 1. He remarried and she severely abused all the kids. The youngest at 15 shot himself the day school got out. He died and the dad divorced his wife.

Cathy is right that the income inequality in this country is destroying the middle class. There is nothing wrong with a progressive tax rate that asks more of the super wealthy. I am sure no one in this forum falls into that category. As a former social worker we had some excellent foster homes and some okay ones. Sure if the family was decent we placed there first. That sure beats kids being rotated through relatives none of which want them.

Thread Information