Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How did your taxes turn out?

Paid $61.00 which is far better than the usual $500-700. State tax - $0

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Paid $61.00 which is far better than the usual $500-700. State tax - $0
    Oooo, we had to oay $2,000+ in state taxes But I don’t know if that is more less or the same as usual. We had some income events in 2018 and the state does not have provisions for not counting them as taxable like the feds do.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-15-19 at 2:43pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    WOW!
    Just so I'm clear, are you saying that if you paid an effective tax rate of 10% in 2017, you paid an effective rate of 60% in 2018?
    No. IL asked if we paid more than usual. And yes, we paid 6x more than we usually do when we get our final tax bill.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    OP, your total federal tax bill for the year 2018 was 6x for same thing in 2017?

Edited to add: did you have a significant increase in income for 2018?
    increased income less than $3k. NO, our balance owed is 6x more than usual.

Obviously, what I think and what I write don't match :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    No. IL asked if we paid more than usual. And yes, we paid 6x more than we usually do when we get our final tax bill.
    Oh I see, she asked if you paid more for the year and you replied that yes, your final payment was 6 times more than expected, although the total amount paid may or may not be more than in previous years. Therein lies the confusion.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I am getting some money back both federal and state, but not so much that I feel like I have been loaning them my money all year. ($900 federal and $130 state). Some years I get a small federal return and then owe a small amount to state.

That means retreat money, okay also a tattoo! ravens.jpg Using this as a starting idea but drawing my own (I have a thing about taking artist's work).

I'm about the same more or less, but the big surprise for me is the fact that I don't have to itemize. They recommend standard deduction, even though I paid over 10k in property taxes between the two houses, and had other pretty good deductions.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

i didn't get as big a return as usual but i didn't change my WH status either. i probably could have gotten a little more if i could deduct my Roth
    contributions as i did in the past...still there is no disputing the fact that this was the biggest tax cut to the wealthy period. enjoy.

Ours refund was larger than last year - primarily because we had overpaid our Obama health care premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm about the same more or less, but the big surprise for me is the fact that I don't have to itemize. They recommend standard deduction, even though I paid over 10k in property taxes between the two houses, and had other pretty good deductions.
    Trump will get no credit here for simplifying the tax preparation process so I wont even try. But yeah.

Thread Information