Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How did your taxes turn out?

We got back 30 and usually get much more and our withhold remains the same. I won’t blame trump because we had less items to deduct this year. If we had used the standard deduction we would have paid a 100. However. TurboTax cost 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So it's important that the media deliberately confuse folks and threads such as this exist to properly influence the population. I tip my hat to the architects of such diabolically clever propaganda.
    Does financial illiteracy have a liberal bias?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I doubt it, but then again I can't explain the liberal tendency to believe in free stuff from the government, so maybe.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

This is why we can't have nice things.
    No we can’t have nice things because we give a massive tax cut to the rich and corporations and a petite tax cut to some of the middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. But fiscal irresponsibility seems to have a conservative bias.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. But fiscal irresponsibility seems to have a conservative bias.
    That's my biggest disappointment with this generation of Republicans, trying to emulate Democrats hoping maybe they'll stop being so mean.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I had to send $2,500. I took $10,000 out of a IRA for the first time. I did not have anything withheld from it and since I pay around 23% in taxes It meant I was close except for that. I paid about the same but my income was a little higher.

ill start getting SS this year, not sure how that will effect things. I’ll probably need to up my quarterly payments.

Also I didn’t have as many deductions this year. I still itemized as we were over the $24,000 standard deduction, but not by much. My AGI was about $13,000 higher.

I made out well. I was poor and then not poor, that's why. So I earned almost nothing but put some into IRAs when I finally had some work (you can until today for 2018), and from pay they withheld as if I had earned that all year, and from unemployment I had them withhold even though I earned so little I didn't actually owe it.

And when you earn almost nothing, you don't pay that much and with overwithholding as well ... Eh but I don't think I entirely escaped taxes though: noone does! But the state doesn't even tax unemployment.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's my biggest disappointment with this generation of Republicans, trying to emulate Democrats hoping maybe they'll stop being so mean.
    If that’s your only disappointment you haven’t been paying attention.

Thread Information