Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How did your taxes turn out?

At the end of the day this tax scam looks like it's not going to be a good campaign tool for republicans. (Perhaps they will follow the president's suggestion and run on their healthcare plan...). My tax bill went down because even though I live in a high COL area and high state tax state I don't have kids or a house so my taxes went down a couple grand. But the overall perception among the population appears to be negative. And in politics that's what matters.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/04/12/...e-worried.html

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    Ours refund was larger than last year - primarily because we had overpaid our Obama health care premiums.
    The past couple of years we have not been good at estimating income because retired.And drawing down assets. So I was super surprised when we didnt have to pay any more on April 15 for our ACA health insurance. Surprised, and happy.

Our tax bill was so low that I worry it is an error, but since we have used these super reliable tax preparers for decades, I should put that worry to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    At the end of the day this tax scam looks like it's not going to be a good campaign tool for republicans. (Perhaps they will follow the president's suggestion and run on their healthcare plan...). My tax bill went down because even though I live in a high COL area and high state tax state I don't have kids or a house so my taxes went down a couple grand. But the overall perception among the population appears to be negative. And in politics that's what matters.

So it's important that the media deliberately confuse folks and threads such as this exist to properly influence the population. I tip my hat to the architects of such diabolically clever propaganda.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

The opening volley of this thread illustrates that tax savings doesn't really matter if it “looks” like more tax. Oooookay.

Those of that mindset deserve every politician they elect. Unfortunately, the rest of us have to live with many of these same politicians.

I remember a situation at work where our CEO designed salary increases for employees at their caps. But because the salary increase didnt look like an increase, it generated bitching and moaning. After two years of attitude, the CEO did away with it.

People who cant Math should be put on a different payout program and maybe even a different tax program. Yeah!thats the ticket.

I had to pay a crazy crazy crazy amount. But it was a one time deal and next year should be back to normal...… what ever that is.

The news media seems to have been focused on "refund received", rather than "total tax paid".

This is why we can't have nice things.

If there was any significant difference between this year and last, my tax guy didn't say anything about it. Given the bracket I'm in, I may have paid a few bucks less.

But that's fair, isn't it? I save a few hundred and billionaires save millions.

That's the Republican definition of prosperity: loaves for the rich; crumbs for the middle class.

We paid (withholding plus final bill) significantly more this year - and the tax increase was more than our gross income increase. So, effectively, we took a net cut to income. We no longer have children at home, so we missed that, and the property/state tax cap hurt us.

we will be itemizing next year as I moved all year end donations from 2018 to the beginning of 2019, we would otherwise end up just under the standard deduction in both years.

2017 - paid 9.6% of AGI in federal taxes.
    2018 - paid 13.5% of AGI in federal taxes.

thanks, Trump!
    Last edited by beckyliz; 4-16-19 at 1:22pm.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Our financials were about the same in 2018 and 2019 and so were the taxes. What we got back from the Feds and the state was pretty much eclipsed by what we paid the tax accountant. Like catherine, we found the new standard deduction worked better for us than itemizing. Maybe next year I'll go with TaxCut or TurboTax. Tax cut, schmax cut. I'm sure it worked for some folks.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information