Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame is burning

There have been a number of recent attacks on Catholic churches in France. Arson, vandalism, desecration of sacred items. So for those of us who are aware of what has been going on, thinking terrorism is not far-fetched.

I’m devastated by the loss of the windows.

I heard on the news tonight that they didn’t want to dump huge amounts of water on it from above because they feared it would collapse too many of the remaining structures.

A reminder that all things are impermanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    There have been a number of recent attacks on Catholic churches in France. Arson, vandalism, desecration of sacred items. So for those of us who are aware of what has been going on, thinking terrorism is not far-fetched.
    Not to mention the Yellow Vest protesters. They took on the Arc de Triomphe. Other people took on the New York World Trade Center and the Pentagon. While my first thought about Notre Dame was "construction-related accident", thinking the fire might be terrorism is not unreasonable.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    While my first thought about Notre Dame was "construction-related accident", thinking the fire might be terrorism is not unreasonable.
    Forming an opinion before having evidence in front of you is, well, poor fire investigative practice. It shuts off the mind to weighing the evidence honestly and openly.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Forming an opinion before having evidence in front of you is, well, poor fire investigative practice. It shuts off the mind to weighing the evidence honestly and openly.
    Well, but we are all just internet doobs shooting from the hip. Its what we do.

Please do not hire us to investigate a fire or the murder of JonBenet Ramsey.

Check out the Daily Mail online. Article with tons of pics of the aftermath. One rose window survives. That gives me great joy!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Losing any historical building is a real tragedy, let alone one so grand. I'm still grieving the library at Alexandria.

ETA: ...which I used to visit as a girl...
    Library fines are still accruing though!

So was anybody killed? Hurt?
    A building this historical, and one that has been through much (WWII), I expect it is well documented, and will be rebuilt. (heck with the building, what about the people) How long until you can buy a charred T shirt?

hash tag, Quasimodo needs a new home.

One firefighter was badly hurt, I’ve heard, but nothing more and no idea on how it happened.

Thread Information