Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame is burning

I heard that they suspect that the fire started with some of the renovation work being done.

Curious.....on my way home from buying groceries in our small town, I was getting ready to pass a really nice house that I always notice. It's on a very small piece of property in the woods, but it's beautiful...brick. They have a little gazebo and it's all very beautiful in the woods. Well, today as I passed it............It had all burned down!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Anyhow........it's such a small scale compared to the Cathedral........but devastating to the owners, nonetheless. No one was hurt. But it was shocking to see.
    I was moved by the news showing people in Paris, standing together in large groups, stunned, watching the cathedral burn, quietly singing. Today I'm feeling bad for everyone everywhere..........

"Library fines are still accruing though!"
    You might expect amnesty, but nooo...

I understand they managed to salvage a considerable number of treasures. I hate when monuments, museums, irreplaceable buildings are destroyed, as so many have been throughout history. At least this one will be restored.

The rooster from the top of the spire has been recovered. Dented, but otherwise OK.

The organ survived intact.

The news is not all bad.

Yppej
    I was surprised people believe the actual thorn crown that was on Jesus's head was in the church and rescued. The crucifixion was a disgrace at the time, not something I imagine early Christians looking for relics of. The resurrection, now that's another story, one of triumph.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I was surprised people believe the actual thorn crown that was on Jesus's head was in the church and rescued. The crucifixion was a disgrace at the time, not something I imagine early Christians looking for relics of. The resurrection, now that's another story, one of triumph.
    If your faith tradition doesn’t include such things, it is easy to discount them.

On the news, it looked like the crown of thorns they saved was golden.....?? Or maybe they took the original one and dipped it in something later??

here is more than anyone probably wants to know about the purported "crown of thorns" that was stored in Notre Dame. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_of_thorns

I am glad some items were saved. As far as the original crown fairy tales are free.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    How long until you can buy a charred T shirt?

Undoubtedly the char will look like the face of the Virgin Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Undoubtedly the char will look like the face of the Virgin Mary.
    (No disrespect intended).

Thread Information