Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame is burning

Notre Dame is burning

Watching live coverage of Notre Dame cathedral in Paris as it burns. Not sure how the fire started but the roof has now collapsed and the fire is still spreading.

Parts of the building are nearly a thousand years old and it hurts me to watch such a beautiful and historic structure be destroyed in real time.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Shocking. Was there many years ago. Just heard one of the rose windows was destroyed. I had forgotten how old it was - truly a miracle it has lasted so long. I am in awe that a building this massive and beautiful was constructed so many years ago - without the modern building methods. Lets pray the fire is extinguished before total destruction.

I know!!! This is horrible. What a tragedy. A gorgeous cathedral dating back to the 12th century...
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    I am in awe that a building this massive and beautiful was constructed so many years ago - without the modern building methods. .
    Two words: Flying Buttress
    A marvel of architectural innovation 800 years ago and effective enough to last this long.

I've had the good fortune of touring the cathedral on each of my 3 visits to the city. I was hoping for another opportunity at some point since I seemed to appreciate it more with each previous visit. The last time we were there we had the opportunity to explore an active archaeological dig underneath the cathedral where the remains of an older Roman structure existed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We were just there in January and it was magnificent. I would rather tour the cathedral than most any other monument.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    We were just there in January and it was magnificent. I would rather tour the cathedral than most any other monument.
    Wow, that was recent.
    I have not been to Paris and I’m not sure that I ever will go at this point in life.

This fire is shocking and awful.

Very sad. I'm wondering how a a fire in a building so heavily trafficked could have gotten so badly out of hand, but I suppose we'll find out in due course. At least it appears no one has been hurt.

Losing any historical building is a real tragedy, let alone one so grand. I'm still grieving the library at Alexandria.

ETA: ...which I used to visit as a girl...

Such a loss. How tragic.

Yppej
    It made a lasting impression and I can still picture it clearly. So sad!

Thread Information