Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame is burning

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    On the news, it looked like the crown of thorns they saved was golden.....?? Or maybe they took the original one and dipped it in something later??
    It's quite common for relics to be put in a case, called a reliquary.

It will be interesting to get the report on how the fire started. While we don't know for sure it was from the construction, I've heard Quasimodo has a hunch.

I am glad they were able to save much of it. It’s history and irreplaceable. When we are in Europe we love going through the old churches, castles and ruins. I hope they are preserved for future generations.

While I agree with you about preservation of the history, many countries are finding that the cost of doing so is prohibitive.

Add in the cruises which are causing problems around the world. Cruise ships drop off their guests who race through the area being visited creating very crowded conditions, spending little and race back to the cruise ship. Little support for the areas that need financial investment to survive.

Venice has forced cruise ships to anchor far offshore for that reason according to different reports. The ships were causing huge water surges that compound existing water problems, excess crowds who spend very little and then leaving.

Perhaps for areas who have limited tourism, cruise ships are a bonus but for the well-established tourism areas, ....
    A friend was telling me that old Quebec City was their favourite place to visit each fall. Once they added cruise ship tours down the St Lawrence River from New York etc., it has become a zoo whenever the cruise ship arrives. People race through the shops, crowd those visiting and staying for a few days and spend little.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff
    I've heard Quasimodo has a hunch.
    Groan...

Quote Originally Posted by razz
    a zoo whenever the cruise ship arrives. People race through the shops, crowd those visiting and staying for a few days and spend little.
    Must be Disney cruises. The cruises I've been on, the vast majority of passengers are too old to race through anywhere. And I've seen no shortage of shopping bags among those waiting to get back on the ship at departure.

As someone who enjoys cruising, however, I would have no problem paying a fee to places I visit. It doesn't take rocket science to identify that dropping several hundred people off each ship in the harbor has a straining effect on most tourist destinations. I would want it bundled into the cost of the cruise rather than an imposed as a kind of entry fee. But I would have no issue contributing to keep La Bellisima bellisima. Like sports stadiums and mega shopping centers, I think the economic impact of visitors is overstated relative to what it really costs to keep the lights on.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    It will be interesting to get the report on how the fire started. While we don't know for sure it was from the construction, I've heard Quasimodo has a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Add in the cruises which are causing problems around the world. Cruise ships drop off their guests who race through the area being visited creating very crowded conditions, spending little and race back to the cruise ship. Little support for the areas that need financial investment to survive.

Venice has forced cruise ships to anchor far offshore for that reason according to different reports. The ships were causing huge water surges that compound existing water problems, excess crowds who spend very little and then leaving.

Perhaps for areas who have limited tourism, cruise ships are a bonus but for the well-established tourism areas, ....
    A friend was telling me that old Quebec City was their favourite place to visit each fall. Once they added cruise ship tours down the St Lawrence River from New York etc., it has become a zoo whenever the cruise ship arrives. People race through the shops, crowd those visiting and staying for a few days and spend little.
    We've never been on a cruise, and I've often wondered about what it is like to be on those floating cities. DH and I have determined that if we ever go on a cruise, we'll go on one of those Viking River Cruises, which are smaller and slower. A lot more expensive, but I'd rather go on one River Cruise than three Norwegian/Disney/Carnival cruises
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We've never been on a cruise, and I've often wondered about what it is like to be on those floating cities. DH and I have determined that if we ever go on a cruise, we'll go on one of those Viking River Cruises, which are smaller and slower. A lot more expensive, but I'd rather go on one River Cruise than three Norwegian/Disney/Carnival cruises
    me too, the Viking
    river cruises are more appealing. An Ocean cruise is a big Nope for me.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We never wanted to cruise but sister wanted one for her 65th. So we went. Terrible waste of $11000 by the time we got home. (passports, flights/cabs, hotels/meals before/after). Sister was happy. Never again! When we were on shore, there wasn't enough time to do the things we really would have liked to do had we been in control of our time.

We'll enjoy the USA one state visit at a time on OUR schedule.

The Caribbean islands depend on the cruise ships. Europe is much less accessible than the IS so do it while youngsters unless you never want to go. We did 4 nights in New Orleans plus a 8 day cruise for5k including airfare. The river cruise are not my thing as during the day they drag everyone around versus picking your own tour. No choice of night entertainment , etc.

Thread Information