Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needy, whiny cat

Removing a cat’s claws is a bad idea as it makes their behavior worse and can also lead to the cat not using the litter box anymore. We had a cat that we used a spray bottle of water to discourage bad behavior and it worked.

My fat lump of a cat is weeks away from turning 17 years old. She doesn’t use the litter box, and we have come to an agreement that she will urinate on a towel which is very absorbent so I guess that works until she goes to kitty heaven.

She is always been needy but not demanding, if that makes sense. She plops her fat self down and leans against me when I am in bed and it’s like having a 70 pound person pushing against me. She is only a little cat but fat, but she’s not 70 pounds.

thanks all for the advice. i guess i need to think about this some more, but if
    the MIL tries to take him back to a shelter i will not allow it. it wouldn't be right.
    jim

It has been my experience that a spray bottle is effective in getting a cat to stop the undesirable behavior for about 30 seconds.
    True story: When we had our cat Boris Karloff, he was a real nuisance to us when we were trying to sleep, so we had his and hers spray bottles on each side of the bed. One time, Boris was harassing me in the middle of the night. I have poor eyesight without my glasses and of course it was dark, so I grabbed the spray bottle and sprayed myself right in the face! DH was very amused.
    I was telling someone once about the his and hers spray bottles, and they said they were expecting to hear something kinky.

I think I would rethink taking in a cat that is already causing problems. Is there a no-kill shelter anywhere around you?
    I'm probably not a good person to ask, since I'm so tired of taking care of animals at this point.
    Maybe others will disagree with me, but all the strays we've taken in, were nice animals, but it was hard to overcome some of the stuff that may have happened to them before coming to us, which made training difficult.

I am a softie and have taken many dogs that would have been put to sleep st a shelter or not get a home. It was worth the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    It has been my experience that a spray bottle is effective in getting a cat to stop the undesirable behavior for about 30 seconds.
    True story: When we had our cat Boris Karloff, he was a real nuisance to us when we were trying to sleep, so we had his and hers spray bottles on each side of the bed. One time, Boris was harassing me in the middle of the night. I have poor eyesight without my glasses and of course it was dark, so I grabbed the spray bottle and sprayed myself right in the face! DH was very amused.
    I was telling someone once about the his and hers spray bottles, and they said they were expecting to hear something kinky.
    funny story! thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I think I would rethink taking in a cat that is already causing problems. Is there a no-kill shelter anywhere around you?
    I'm probably not a good person to ask, since I'm so tired of taking care of animals at this point.
    Maybe others will disagree with me, but all the strays we've taken in, were nice animals, but it was hard to overcome some of the stuff that may have happened to them before coming to us, which made training difficult.
    i won't take him back to a shelter. he really isnt that much trouble...my theory is he doesnt get enough love and attention. MIL is elderly and in
    poor health (plus and alcoholic) so i don't think she gives him what he needs. (i also think she dislikes males so he is odd-boy out!). i guess i will wait
    until she has just had enough of the situation and then step in. DW will have to get use to Phil which she will. If it doesnt work out we'll cross that bridge
    when we come to it. thanks again, jim

Thread Information