Thread: Oh, The Dust!

Oh, The Dust!

And cobwebs! And dead bug carcasses!

As many of you know, I live in a tiny (think about 250 sq. ft) apartment behind the gallery I manage in rural New Mexico. When I got home last night and was getting ready for bed, I glanced down at the bottom of the door jamb and saw a big blob. When I got my glasses back on it was a big spider with long, black legs! In between getting a jar to trap it in (I hate killing bugs, I usually just transfer them outside) and returning to my bedroom, it was gone...

Anyway, it has spurred me into action - must vacuum! And in order to do that I pretty much have to disassemble my entire tiny bedroom because everything that I fit in there fits just so.

Living in a former coal town (and a very windy spring so far to boot), has left a gritty layer of dust on everything. It is pretty satisfying to just suck it up, shakes things out, and regroup. The camping equipment is going to go back into the trunk of the car so I will be ready for camping season. Last night I participated in a women's clothing exchange the next village over; I probably brought back home about three more clothing items that I took there. I still really don't have that much clothing compared to most women, and I make a point of wearing everything and if I don't like it anymore, out it goes. Or if it doesn't fit, I will not let it hang around thinking that I will lose that damn 10 lbs. It ain't going to happen any time soon. Out it goes!

I have a dilemma though - I have two acoustic guitars, one old one for travel and a really nice Taylor (which is my main guitar) and also an electric guitar, which I don't play nearly enough. Come to think of it, I don't play nearly enough, period. I got out of practice, literally, when I had my wrist surgery last fall and even though I am physically able to play once again without too much pain and stiffness, I have lately been cranking out the jewelry production to get ready for the tourist season. But I digress. About two years ago my employers brought me a birthday gift of a small, hand-built travel guitar. It is a beautiful little thing, but oddly the guitar body is round and damn near impossible to play while sitting (I do not stand when I play). It also has a warped neck so it plays badly. I took it to a luthier and they confirmed this as well. Not worth fixing. It was a very sweet gesture from my employers, but they knew nothing about guitars when they bought it. I really don't want it, it is taking up valuable room but I feel guilty when I think of taking it away somewhere... I think I am going to see if I can consign it at the guitar shop in town. I know they will never know, but still...

I feel such a need to do all this spring cleaning. I have been in such a rut lately, too many health issues going on and interfering with just living my life. At least I don't have breast cancer (that was the latest scare)! I am still dealing with the last surgery; new problems have cropped up and most days I have horrible pain. It is hard not to fall into some sort of depression about it all. But today the sun is shining, it's warming up and I have the day off. I think I will try to keep a bit busy so I don't focus on the discomfort that accompanies my every waking move.

Back to vacuuming!

I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I hope it gets resolved.

When I receive or give a gift, I believe it is the choice of the recipient of how it is disposed.. You are finding a new home where it will get the use that it should, IMO.
    Sorry to hear of the discomfort but glad that you able to be so busy creating your jewelry.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Tea
    Thank you for not killing the spider.

I don't think you need to feel bad at all about giving or selling the guitar away. I'm sure their intention in giving the gift was not to inconvenience you, right? And I bet even though it doesn't play well, someone with a roomy home to decorate would want it as a decorative item. People who don't play musical instruments commonly hang them on the wall of a library or den, et cetera. Or someone who can do the work themselves may in fact find it worth fixing.

It turns out the guitar is a lot more valuable than I thought! I took it to the guitar shop and the owner ended up calling the guy who made it (a small maker in Montana). I guess when purchased new, they are around $1600! Mine would be sold as "used", though it is mint condition, as I hardly ever played it. It really is a beautiful piece, it just doesn't work for me. So I have it on consignment for $1200. If it sells, I would get $800. I thought that with the $800 I would buy a Mini Taylor and still have a really nice travel guitar. I wonder if anyone would will be interested in it? At least it is out of my bedroom and someplace where people will see it!

Tea
    That's wonderful, I hope it sells for you.

Thread Information