Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Siblings now estranged, estate issues were last straw and maybe for me

Quick update: Got the green light to list the house. Contacted realtor immediately and met with her the very next day. Signed listing agreement, house will be photographed tomorrow so listing should be up shortly after.

Was at house yesterday to do yard cleanup, checking lighting, replacing light bulb over attic stairway with an LED so much better lighting for buyers wanting to see attic. Next step for me is to secure snow removal services to handle snow since I am over an hour away. I will pick up that tab, sending invoice to MS, if she refuses to pay or delays, attorney will evaluate then. Main thing is to get that house sold, all other stuff can be worked out later.

From what I gather, MS attorney has indicated to our attorney that MS is difficult to deal with. No big surprise. Possible that it was on his advice to give me the authority to sell. In other news, relationship with one extended family member seems to be already impacted. My counseling appointment is this Saturday and it will be just in time for the holidays...sigh.

So sorry that it has turned into such a struggle but you are moving ahead with getting it listed. Hopefully it’s selling quickly and you can enjoy the holidays in some peace of mind.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Glad to hear there is some movement.

Glad things are moving along.

This too shall pass. Like a kidney stone but it will pass. ((hugs))

Thanks, everyone. While I am glad to finally, finally get this moving, the emotional cost of doing so weighs heavily on me. One one hand, dealings with my sister over the last 5 years has been so difficult, with so much anger and hostility eminating from her that that I feel relieved no longer dealing with her. On the other hand the impact to my relationship with her family (BIL, inlaw family and her two sons in particular) that bothers me. Also what will happen with the extended family, MS has shown she is willing to go scorched earth if she has a mind to.

Unfortunately, you can only act on the things that you can. BIL and sons must be confused and hurting as well with all this disturbance going on for so long. When one can do nothing else, just love them and be yourself.
    It was very important to get an attorney for yourself onto the scene which tells you that others are observing how things unfold.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    With all the attorneys involved I hope it's not like the Courts of Chancery in Dickens where the orphans got nothing in the end.

It won't be like that. This will proceed now that attorneys are involved. Sadly, the family dynamics are taking a rough toll.

When things were at my worst with my brother, it definitely affected my relationship with my sil and their children. Really, really sad, as you lose so much more than the parent in all of this.

It's devastating. So glad you are going to see a counselor; it will help.

Update: Today I signed a contract for the house. We got an offer after just 4 days on the market and an inspection is scheduled for this weekend. The buyer has his financing already in order so we won't have to wait for that. No contingencies.

Dare I hope there's a light at the end of this tunnel?

Thread Information