Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Siblings now estranged, estate issues were last straw and maybe for me

Great news!

OMG... so happy for you!

Perfect Christmas present!

That's great news, saguaro! I hope closing goes smoothly...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Checking in with an update both good things and one bad thing:

House sale is proceeding so far so good. Inspection was done just before Christmas, radon testing over the holidays, home appraisal and attorneys just concluded reviewing the sales contract. Nothing was identified in the inspection that scared off the buyer, radon checked out, only thing that came out of the review process was that buyer requested a repair credit (it is an 100 year old house after all), realtor thought it was too high so I countered with a lower amount which was accepted. Appraisal due Jan 20th and buyers loan contingency date is the 24th. Closing is tentatively scheduled for Jan. 31st.

So we are getting close....just hope things continue as smoothly as they have been going. I really, really, REALLY want this over.

In the meantime, I was aware that MS is cleaning out the storage facility, leaving things for me to pick up at the house and send to YS if necessary. Things have been cordial but a bit terse when I have had to contact her for documentation necessary for the house sale. However she's not beyond getting her licks in, apparently.

YS volunteered to scan the slides from our family vacations, family events etc. some time ago. Dad was an avid photographer and took tons of pictures and slides. He stored his slides in trays or boxes, labeling them and was super meticulous in storing them. MS left slides for me to send to YS at the house, but...she dumped them all in a single box. Hundreds of slides from my parents' honeymoon to their last vacation before they died and everything in between all mixed up in that box. YS will still scan them but her job just became a lot harder now she has to sort them after they were already sorted to begin with. MS is just hell bent on making things harder and inflicting pain where she can still get away with it.

Well that’s really mean of your sister. My mom took a ton of slides when we were kids. We didn’t keep them.

Could YS simply scan a limited number that catch her eye and create a summary of the family and toss the balance of slides due to the mess?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Well that’s really mean of your sister. My mom took a ton of slides when we were kids. We didn’t keep them.
    My parents have lot of slides too. I used the ones from their time living in Belgium and the Netherlands for school projects/presentations which always got A's. I was "made" in Belgium but they moved to Kansas before I was born so I never got to live anywhere exciting. KS to VA to MD.

My brother did something really similar--put everything that was sorted and threw it in a box including a framed picture that had been on top of my grandmother;s dresser in the 60's and the glass broke (of course) and I had to pick shattered glass out of the mess of the box--everything stuffed in there and then the box was ripped and damaged in shipping.

It seemed really passive aggressive and mean spirited.

Sounds like your sister and my brother are cut out of the same cloth.

SO glad the house is selling--yay!!

@Tybee it was passive aggressive and mean, sorry to hear your brother did something similar. Aside from the meanness, it also shows disrespect. In our case, it shows total disrespect for Dad as MS knows that his photography was important to him including how he kept things. MS did a similar thing with me regarding our Mom's wedding dress, threatening to just dump it. She is taking things that she knows were important to our parents and "weaponizing" them.

@razz, unfortunately a lot of YS's baby pictures were on slides (which is likely why she got the bulk of them) there's few actual photos of her so she will go through them. There was a large envelope for me also containing slides. YS offered to take those but I agreed to hold onto them, YS has a big enough job. After YS and I go through what we have we will discuss what we really want to keep and what to toss.

Having the house cleared out and knowing I have only 2 more weekends to go down there, check on things and take the very last items out of the house (light, timer, cleaning supplies kept on hand) is a huge relief! Also next appointment with counselor is coming up....going to be interesting how that goes now that she has the "lay of the land" from the first session.

Thread Information