Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Siblings now estranged, estate issues were last straw and maybe for me

You are so lucky. My parents house is still sitting there, no one would or will cooperate on clearing it out. I have seriously thought of getting Teacher Terry to go down there with me for a week and just doing it. If I weren't afraid of my litigious brother, I would.

@Tybee how long has your parents' house been sitting there? Is your brother in charge of the house / estate?

It has been empty now two years, and he is in charge, but they are still living.

Tybee that’s terrible. I have done this numerous times and I can be a fast decluttering machine). From what you have said about your brother I think you are right that he might take legal action. You would think he would want the house sold in case he needs the money to pay for your parent’s care.

Yeah. I wouldn't do it, but I know you would be a decluttering machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It has been empty now two years, and he is in charge, but they are still living.
    That is terrible. In addition to possibly needing the money from selling the house to pay for care, the house continues to incur costs like ultilities, taxes and insurance reducing what is available for the parents' needs. Makes no sense but then again, it doesn't. IME seems to serve some need in the sibling who's in charge.

Bumping for update: The house is sold, I closed on it late last week. DH and I were there an hour before the buyer's walkthrough to remove the lamps and timers, do a final check and clear snow off the deck. Per realtor and my attorney closing went off without a hitch.

Thanks to my attorney, I was able to arrange for proceeds to go to each of us at closing rather then have proceeds be deposited in the estate account then fight MS for disbursement. Unfortunately, in the course of selling house, I had to rely on MS for information which she mostly provided however she was really cagey about sharing the estate bank account details that I needed for the closing. Turns out she completely screwed things up and it was one of the reasons that my attorney pushed for direct disbursement rather then get involved in her mess by running the proceeds through the account.

And the most interesting thing was that MS insisted that "houses won't sell in the winter" but (and maybe I was lucky) the house was on the market for only 4 days when I got the offer. Total time to sell this place took just under 2 months.

Just relieved this house business is all over.

So glad it’s over!

At least that part of the estate is settled. How is it going with the rest? Would you be content to just walk away now?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

So glad to hear the house is taken care of. That must be a relief.

Thread Information