Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: for Catherine: Congratulations!

The bad news is we just heard from him and he's there and his transitional housing is not that great--a one room affordable housing place with a microwave and dorm fridge.
    a one room affordable housing place in California is nothing to be sneezed at. But yes people who haven't experienced the real world somehow don't understand it, is what's going on (and no I'm not going to put those who don't have $500 in that bucket, they might be in the real world just poor).

You can't make them understand what they have so little experience of, it seems like one should be able to just with logic, but it doesn't seem to actually work that way, like even though it should be, logic no matter how basic ("this is money coming in, this is money going out"), is no substitute for life experience, maybe because the denial becomes psychologically motivated. I think it's a whole phenomena of out of touch people this way (maybe not that numerous but they are out there). I think they have incentive to live in denial at a certain point, probably ashamed of their lives and scared of their prospects and can't face it.

But he's not as divorced from the real world as he could be, he has worked afterall etc.. That's the good part.
    Trees don't grow on money

If he doesn’t qualify for regular SS he will probably get SSI for poor people but that’s much less. I can understand your conflicting feelings. Hopefully he will find work and enjoy his friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    That is great news. It gives him a reality check and provides motivation to improve his circumstances.
    This is nicely stated!

Understand your conflicting feelings it makes total sense. Hopefully this experience will serve as a reality check for him. Perhaps seeing his affordable housing was the beginning?

Setting out on your own can be exhilarating; I wish him the best.

While wishing BIL success in his new location, may you and your DH find peace and joy in your new home in Vermont with less stress and concern about BIL.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information