Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denver schools shut down

Denver schools shut down

I posted a Columbine thread, but this is pretty intense now. All the schools shut down in Denver due to the threat of a shooting. There are always some threats around the anniversary but with this year being the 20th (on the 20th) it is much bigger. Not fun running after school yesterday with the advanced knowledge and not being able to tell kids or parents why we were not outside. The news story broke later that evening.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/us/co...eat/index.html

Is your school shut down? Do staff report but kids stay home?

We are shut down, and our entire district, no staff reports. My district includes Columbine High School. I knew about this yesterday, got the call about 3:15 ish. I forgot my staff may get nervous as well, I had one that during a true lock down started freaking out. We were on lock out yesterday instead of lock down, some schools in the south and mountains were on lock down.

(lock out is when the doors are locked and entrance is either totally closed or heavily monitored. You can move around the building and do normal activities inside. We monitored and if the parent was not specifically for our program we turned them away. A lock down is when the school is closed, no one goes in or out, lights are off and students are in hiding, no one moves within the building.)

I left my dang summer planning binder at school too, stupid thing but I have a LOT to work on.

So was there a threat, or is this common that someone says something in order to get schools to close (happens here when some big tests come, some kid makes a bomb threat, and if far enough back, some other kid calls it in or gets the rumor started enough, that no one knows who started it)?

Read the article and am confused by the "she did not make it directly" comment.

That is a lot of drama. I hope things go well the rest of the day.

TMS She came from out of state specifically because Columbine is here. That would mean that it isn't a test avoidance. I don't think the high schools are testing right now but I could be wrong, they are always testing! We have closings and threats at times, but nothing this large, ever. Probably based on all the times that one person killed a lot of people very quickly. The schools and police are very well prepared because we have been on alert for 20 years.

Thank you IL, I finally figured out some work I could do at home. And concerned about how our students are doing. I only had 2 yesterday who were shook up, one has extreme anxiety already. However they didn't know what was happening. I think the older kids are more affected, especially any who have been affected by gun violence already.

It’s so sad that schools are no longer safe.

Apparently she has been found dead of an apparent suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Apparently she has been found dead of an apparent suicide.
    Lots for kids to process in this,

Tea
    Tragic in it's own way, but at least she didn't kill anyone else.

They just said on the news that 20,000 American students have experienced/witnessed shootings at their schools since Columbine. It seems like the emphasis is usually on the number of separate shootings, or total number of deaths (which are tragically high too of course) but when you think of it in terms of the number of children exposed, first hand, to such a trauma, it is just a mind boggling number. So awful.

Thread Information