Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention New Englanders

Attention New Englanders

Help me out please with an upcoming flower show design. We are supposed to interpret “New England” in a traditional floral arrangement.

Give me some ideas of things that symbolize New England other than fall leaf color and New England Patriots.

Nautical themes and colors, conifers, Shaker style, mums and asters are the first things that come to mind. Lupines maybe.

Colonial history (Pilgrims, Mayflower, Thanksgiving, Sturbridge Village)
    Ocean (weathered cedar cottages, lighthouses)
    Flora and fauna (maple trees, robins)
    Food (lobster rolls, esp the hot lobster roll which was invented in my hometown; grinders, pot roast, bread pudding)
    Education (Yale and Harvard)
    People (John Adams, P.T. Barnum, Eli Whitney, Mark Twain)

That's off the top of my head.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Dunkin' Donuts shops.

Seriously, I cannot recall the number of times I received road directions that used DDs as a landmark (first wife was from NE). More seriously, I think herbgeek and catherine covered most of what I can think of. Whaling and fishing were/are big industries, so a net might be appropriate. Others: Fenway Park's Big Green Monster outfield wall. Skiing. Cranberries. Baked beans.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Dunkin' Donuts shops.

Seriously, I cannot recall the number of times I received road directions that used DDs as a landmark (first wife was from NE). More seriously, I think herbgeek and catherine covered most of what I can think of. Whaling and fishing were/are big industries, so a net might be appropriate. Others: Fenway Park's Big Green Monster outfield wall. Skiing. Cranberries. Baked beans.
    Wish I had a bean pot. That would be my container. The bean thing is inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Colonial history (Pilgrims, Mayflower, Thanksgiving, Sturbridge Village)
    Ocean (weathered cedar cottages, lighthouses)
    Flora and fauna (maple trees, robins)
    Food (lobster rolls, esp the hot lobster roll which was invented in my hometown; grinders, pot roast, bread pudding)
    Education (Yale and Harvard)
    People (John Adams, P.T. Barnum, Eli Whitney, Mark Twain)

That's off the top of my head.
    I was circling around Colonial history and famous patriots and wish I had a pewter container. As it is,
    I may use a silver container. I have decided to bring in New England authors by adding an anthology of poetry by NE poets near the Container.

I have to use iris as the dominant flower because it is an iris show.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I was circling around Colonial history and famous patriots and wish I had a pewter container. As it is,
    I may use a silver container. I have decided to bring in New England authors by adding an anthology of poetry by NE poets near the Container.

I have to use iris as the dominant flower because it is an iris show.
    Great idea! Love the poet idea! Robert Frost is the obvious one. Then there's Emily Dickenson.
    If you move away from poetry to literature you have the Transcendentalists Thoreau and Emerson, too.

Mary Oliver lived in Provincetown for many years.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I recently donated a bean pot. I see them in the $8 - $2 range in thrift and antique shops.
    Steve, that is too funny about DD, and there is such a sense of hometown pride about that chain and its crappy coffee and even crappier donuts.

Yppej
    Too bad it has to be irises and cannot be mayflowers.

Rubus chamaemorus

Cloudberry. "Bakeapple" in Newfoundland. Prized by circumpolar peoples. Quite tart!
    It may be a challenge to display male flowers.

Thread Information