Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: geez, Easter overload

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm oblivious to the religious underpinnings of holidays, the greetings, etc. I'm aware of the pagan roots of most of them. It's a complete non-issue for me.

I agree public institutions should completely steer clear of religion. Too bad it can't be made clear that bunnies and eggs are all about the Spring equinox and have nothing to do with Jesus.
    That's what I was thinking. It's so easy to do a secular egg hunt or dye eggs, or whatever spring celebration you wish to do. Abolishing holidays altogether for fear of offending someone seems dreary to me, but I understand that people do get offended. Our national holidays are the only permissible holidays these days, but seasonal holidays were very common throughout history to brighten up the winter doldrums and celebrate spring and and share in fall harvests.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Most holidays have become so secularized it's hard to find the religion in any of it.
    Thank goodness kids are just looking for eggs... not 32 giant stones that were rolled away.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Too bad it can't be made clear that bunnies and eggs are all about the Spring equinox and have nothing to do with Jesus.
    Too bad it's not celebrated with the Equinox then, rather than the Christian celebration of Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Most holidays have become so secularized it's hard to find the religion in any of it.
    Thank goodness kids are just looking for eggs... not 32 giant stones that were rolled away.
    Commercialization and advertising of buy buy buy, eat eat eat of secularization, hasn't removed the faith of holidays. Faith is strong among the faithful. It was wonderful this morning to see the children singing and (2) signing at church this morning.

As long as there are consumers for the detritus advertised, it will be manufactured. It's good to be a simple liver!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Too bad it's not celebrated with the Equinox then, rather than the Christian celebration of Christ.
    exactly, it is done on easter and called the easter bunny. I am happy to do equinox or anything else, but if you use a christian holiday name then expect people who are not christian to maybe feel weird about joining in or spending school/neighborhood money.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    exactly, it is done on easter and called the easter bunny. I am happy to do equinox or anything else, but if you use a christian holiday name then expect people who are not christian to maybe feel weird about joining in or spending school/neighborhood money.
    What about mindfulness? Do you feel that a public school environment is a proper venue for teaching or promoting that aspect of Buddhism?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Easter bunny is fun and not religious. Don’t know how anyone could have a problem with that.

Because he’s the “Easter” bunny? And “Easter” is by definition a religious holiday?

Alan, while mindfulness is a key part of Buddhism, i’m Not sure it’s any more “Buddhist” than Charity is Jewish or loving others is Christian. (Yes, Yes, i’m Sure everyone knows a hateful Christian, or an uncharitable Jew, or a Buddhist who isn’t at all mindful, my point was that they are key values from various religions that are really just valuable keys to life.

As a kid I always loved the classroom decorations changing with the seasons. We were encouraged to assist in making and displaying them. It was part of our art education. We did Valentines Day and May Day as well as Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Pumpkins, pilgrims, snowflakes and flowers. Not a bit of religious discussion was had. I still give out Valentine's to all my friends and family. It was never romantic, it was always a show of appreciation. I still like doing may baskets. Oh for the simpler times before people were overthinking everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    As a kid I always loved the classroom decorations changing with the seasons. We were encouraged to assist in making and displaying them. It was part of our art education. We did Valentines Day and May Day as well as Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Pumpkins, pilgrims, snowflakes and flowers. Not a bit of religious discussion was had. I still give out Valentine's to all my friends and family. It was never romantic, it was always a show of appreciation. I still like doing may baskets. Oh for the simpler times before people were overthinking everything.
    I gave out May baskets last year!

Here in Hermann we have Maifest with kids dancing around the Maypole.

Thread Information