Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Border Drama.....And It's Bad

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

New Border Drama.....And It's Bad

Got off the phone awhile ago with one of my neighbors who alerted me to the following: In New Mexico, on the Mexican border facing New Mexico, there is a right wing militia group that has been illegally detaining migrants seeking to enter the US and try their luck at an asylum claim.

I checked online before posting here as I did not want to believe this - even with how I feel about this country I did not want to believe this. Apparently it's true. Goes against EVERYTHING this country once stood for (as at least was reputed to stand for).....to me this is major social breakdown personified. Will be interesting to see how this is spinned going forward and if this is allowed to continue. Online I have already read that Mexico is expressing concern. Yet another border issue, the price of avocados may skyrocket further (up to .69 each today at Food City, a Hispanic Supermarket chain in Arizona). Rob

Well that seals it, the price of avocados going up means it is really bad. Bad!

Well that seals it, the price of avocados going up means it is really bad. Bad!
    No its the vigilante "justice" which is really bad. ie Detaining people at gunpoint when you aren't a law enforcement officer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/u...ype=collection

The FBI has arrested Larry Mitchell Hopkins, 69 on charges of possession of firearms by a felon. In 2006 he was convicted on similar charges. He leads a group who derive some satisfaction from wearing camo, carrying semi-automatic rifles, and "detaining" illegal immigrants near the southern border. The US Customs and Border Protection officially deny that they work with any militia or vigilante organization. But Hopkins claims that his group has detained and handed people over to CBP officers. He has argued that it is not kidnapping, because the people he detained were in the US illegally.

He has not been charged with kidnapping.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    No its the vigilante "justice" which is really bad. ie Detaining people at gunpoint when you aren't a law enforcement officer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/u...ype=collection
    Thank You, Herbgeek, for understanding my point. Vigilante justice scares me - even if my neighbors in my infamous zip code were to pull it I'd be scared. The whole concept reeks to me of society completely falling apart. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The FBI has arrested Larry Mitchell Hopkins, 69 on charges of possession of firearms by a felon. In 2006 he was convicted on similar charges. He leads a group who derive some satisfaction from wearing camo, carrying semi-automatic rifles, and "detaining" illegal immigrants near the southern border. The US Customs and Border Protection officially deny that they work with any militia or vigilante organization. But Hopkins claims that his group has detained and handed people over to CBP officers. He has argued that it is not kidnapping, because the people he detained were in the US illegally.

He has not been charged with kidnapping.
    I just read of Hopkin's arrest by the FBI. I hope this calms things down but we'll see. I'm guessing (?) these kinds of groups have contingency plans in case should something happen to the leader so we'll see. For the record, this is one arrest by law enforcement that I very much support. Rob

I have heard about this, It did look credible and scary as f**. I think that even if we change laws or get different lawmakers at this point we are looking at a future with a lot of violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I have heard about this, It did look credible and scary as f**. I think that even if we change laws or get different lawmakers at this point we are looking at a future with a lot of violence.
    ZG, this is my worry for the Borderlands, too. I don't know the whole Borderland area but parts of the Arizona border over 4,000 ft in altitude are beautiful in their own way though I also know both sides of the border are corrupt - that said, on both sides of the border you will find some of the most interesting people living authentic lives - it's as if the drama of living in an unpredictable area gives people permission to be more authentic.

At any rate, I agree ZG. I too see a border that is more violent in our future. I wish we could time travel back to the border of the 80's - a much saner time and place. Rob

They should arrest everyone in that militia group. That’s terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The FBI has arrested Larry Mitchell Hopkins, 69 on charges of possession of firearms by a felon. In 2006 he was convicted on similar charges.
    That is the chargeable offense. Without any LEO witnesses, you otherwise have a he said they said situation, with someone trespassing on private property, against a bunch of individuals exercising their second amendment rights and defending themselves and their property, and turning the aggressor over to the proper authorities. (that would be the argument)

Thread Information