Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Border Drama.....And It's Bad

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Sorry but they are getting the consequences of involving themselves in law enforcement business.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. I have no sympathy but I'm still not down with Hopkins being beaten while in custody. No tears, no sympathy per se but I still don't believe it's right that he was beaten. Would it not be ironic if due to this beating he was able to sue his way into a huge settlement? Such would not surprise me these days. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've always believed that if you scratch an empathetic liberal you'll expose a violent fascist, and sometimes if you're patient, they'll expose themselves.
    Ha! Project much?

During my brief singing career (long story), we used to perform Pete Seeger's Guantanamera, including the line "Con los pobres de la tierra, quiero yo mi suerte echar." As an impoverished student, my thought was always "Not me!" But I've long since grown to agree. As much as I can, I stand on the side of the side of the oppressed, the marginalized, and the bullied.

Hopkins and his ilk are bullies. He has a lengthy record of being a felon and a scofflaw. He's on the lam from a sentence in Washington. His militia organization was training to assassinate various Democratic figures. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/militia...llary-clinton/ I hope we still have the rule of law in this country, and I hope it will prevail here. Even with getting a couple of ribs broken, Hopkins is being treated better than the asylum seekers he tormented, and better than he deserves, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Ha! Project much?

During my brief singing career (long story), we used to perform Pete Seeger's Guantanamera, including the line "Con los pobres de la tierra, quiero yo mi suerte echar." As an impoverished student, my thought was always "Not me!" But I've long since grown to agree. As much as I can, I stand on the side of the side of the oppressed, the marginalized, and the bullied.

Hopkins and his ilk are bullies. He has a lengthy record of being a felon and a scofflaw. He's on the lam from a sentence in Washington. His militia organization was training to assassinate various Democratic figures. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/militia...llary-clinton/ I hope we still have the rule of law in this country, and I hope it will prevail here. Even with getting a couple of ribs broken, Hopkins is being treated better than the asylum seekers he tormented, and better than he deserves, IMO.
    I am not going to defend this Hopkins character in any way since the little I know about him – gleaned here on this site – shows him to be indefensible. But he gets his day in court and will be processed through the law as civilized people do. Every outcome of the law makes someone unhappy anyway.

In reading the article the militia was on someone else’s land who gave them to the end of the week to get out. So they are not defending their own land and are just plain bullies. I hope they prosecute them all.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Ha! Project much?
    I don't think so.

I'm a guy who evaluates every input by tone and by facts, which are often at odds with each other. In the original article posted in support of this thread, the tone said one thing and the facts outlined said another. The facts said that all immigrants entering the country illegally immediately searched for authorities to turn themselves over to and that the "militia" members assisted in this effort by gathering them up and calling for authorities to respond, while implying that this was done in a scary manner.

Of course it also indicated that special interest groups choose to present these actions as illegal and mean spirited, while also noting that law enforcement has not chosen to press charges for the allegedly illegal aspects. When that happens, there's usually a reason and it's almost always because they can't make the case the special interest groups demand.

So, that leaves us with the likelihood that nothing illegal has transpired although the same media reports that breathlessly set the tone have stirred up anger and resentment which make others want to lock them all up regardless of provable charges, and if someone gets seriously hurt in the process, well they brought it on themselves for pissing us off.

When those who demand rough justice based upon their feelings take over, I sure hope there remains some form of checks and balances on their ability to actually follow through.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

A Boston area judge and court officer have been charged by the feds with obstruction of justice for helping an illegal immigrant charge elude ICE arrest.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...-elude-n998546

The illegal immigrant was in court for drug charges.

So, Rob, do you approve of what the judge did or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    A Boston area judge and court officer have been charged by the feds with obstruction of justice for helping an illegal immigrant charge elude ICE arrest.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...-elude-n998546

The illegal immigrant was in court for drug charges.

So, Rob, do you approve of what the judge did or not?
    Tradd, Hi! Hard question and Thank You for making me think. At the moment I'm 50/50 on this one. I see it as both right and wrong in equal amounts what the judge did and I don't think he should face any charges, too me that's going too far. THAT SAID HOWEVER.....here's a surprise for you Conservatives.....I don't have any problem with Trump sending recent asylum claimants to Boston. If the judge wants to help this undocumented individual evade a Federal Agency, perhaps Boston could put it's money where it's mouth is and become a Host City for these Central American migrants attempting asylum here.

I believe the Trump Administration is going way too far here and are collective experts at stirring the Border Drama Pot for maximum Support Base support. But evading a Federal Agency is avoiding a Federal Agency......there is a point there, too. Rob

Yppej
    Rob your biases are showing. The judge is a she not a he.

The Mass gov wants the judge suspended

https://www.masslive.com/news/2018/1...nder_scru.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Rob your biases are showing. The judge is a she not a he.
    OK then, I take back that sentence and I restate: I don't believe she, meaning this female judge in question, should face any charges. And I cringe to admit this but you have a point....I have nothing logical to point to to support any reason I'd believe the judge was male and not female. Not only do you have a point but you are right. I was biased. Rob

Thread Information