Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Border Drama.....And It's Bad

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    They should arrest everyone in that militia group. That’s terrible.
    I agree with both of your statements here, definitely. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Yet another border issue, the price of avocados may skyrocket further (up to .69 each today at Food City, a Hispanic Supermarket chain in Arizona). Rob
    Well, up here on The Other Border, large avocados were $4.59/each, and small ones $2.59/each at the grocery store yesterday.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, up here on The Other Border, large avocados were $4.59/each, and small ones $2.59/each at the grocery store yesterday.
    Crazy......someone at a Food City in the 85008 (one zip code over going East) told me that avocados were that expensive in most of the US - not in Phoenix since we are so close to the border to begin with and because avocados are a bit of a loss leader in Hispanic supermarkets to begin with. But yeah, I've had people in other parts of the country tell me to be grateful for the food prices I face here - notably less than in other parts of the US. Rob

PS....true story. Before the recent Trump threats to seal the border indefinitely, avocados at Food City frequently were 4 for .99 on Wednesdays, their produce specials day. So that .69 each now? Compared to much of the US this is cheap, yes....compared to recent Phoenix pricing history, it's not cheap.......Rob

This "militia" detaining people:

What are the circumstances? Where are they operating? (Public lands, their own private land, someone else's private land, ...?) What are they detaining the people for, precisely.

Here in my state, I can use force to detain trespassers until law enforcement arrives, but only on my own land. I can use force to stop certain types of criminal acts in-progress. And a few other cases allow use of force, or detention of others. But it's pretty specific.

So what are the specifics here? Yahoos on federal lands acting out a militia fantasy? A farmer and his friends on his own land?

bae, whose land it was on hasn't been reported yet (or I haven't seen) True, invited guests can walk around private property and hold trespassers until law enforcement gets there. So far, I think they've only charged the leader with illegal possession of a firearm (since he's a felon and isn't supposed to own guns). He's already claiming all the many guns found at his home belong to his common-law wife, not him (so you can see this group is prepared to be argumentative and slippery) It's also come out that he's been arrested for this same thing before, and that he has boasted about training people to assassinate Obama and Hillary Clinton (obviously, he didn't train them very well).

I saw the news story today, where they titled it one thing, that was completely different from what they are reporting. Part of the reason people think fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    (since he's a felon and isn't supposed to own guns). He's already claiming all the many guns found at his home belong to his common-law wife, not him (so you can see this group is prepared to be argumentative and slippery)
    Or they are stating a fact. I have a friend who is a felon (DUI), whose wife and granddaughter have his fathers rifles in the house until the granddaughter is an adult and on her own. His siblings are LEO's.
    Then felons can go through procedures to get their gun rights restored. Not all succeed or get in trouble for felon in possession either (see Mark Wahlberg)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Or they are stating a fact. I have a friend who is a felon (DUI), whose wife and granddaughter have his fathers rifles in the house until the granddaughter is an adult and on her own. His siblings are LEO's.
    If the felon has access to the firearms in a home, then it is considered possession, and it is a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If the felon has access to the firearms in a home, then it is considered possession, and it is a no-no.
    Locked up, but realistically, it wouldn't take any time to defeat a lock/safe, etc.

On Tuesday, April 23, Hopkins was beaten (presumably by other inmates) while he was in custody in the Dona Ana County Detention Center, Las Cruces, NM. He was hospitalized with injuries including broken ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    On Tuesday, April 23, Hopkins was beaten (presumably by other inmates) while he was in custody in the Dona Ana County Detention Center, Las Cruces, NM. He was hospitalized with injuries including broken ribs.
    That will probably be the extent of his punishment.

Thread Information