Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeach Donald Trump?

If we could impeach someone for lying about a blowjob certainly we could impeach someone for multiple cases of obstruction.

The thing that occured to me today was that if trump had been behaving like a normal person for the last three years, and if 2/3 of his senior campaign staff hadn’t been indicted during the last 18 months and this report just came out of the blue it would have been a HUGE bombshell. But instead it was pretty unremarkable because lying and cheating and criminal activity by the president and everyone around him are completely normalized. Not to mention the debasement of our law enforcement agencies. A while back Ldahl expressed confidence that our government could withstand this. Yet now we have a man running the DOJ who acts more like trump’s defense attorney than an attorney general. We seem to be well on the way to banana republicanism.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I don't understand what her motivation is for that. Polling I've seen doesn't indicate that the public is in favor of it.
    Seems like the 2019 version of Lock Her Up, meant for consumption by motivated primary voters.

I find it fascinating how his base completely overlooks the pathological dishonesty. Rather than seeing how devious and megalomaniacal he is, they talk about how great a president he is because "He's checked off all his campaign promises." (Even if he hasn't).

I think there's something weirdly "American" about this attraction to ignoring all the "no trespassing" signs he runs over on his way to "checking off the boxes." I think about that famous scene in Gone With the Wind where Scarlett, utterly exhausted, famished, and emotionally spent, makes it to Tara and vomits her attempt at eating a puny potato she finds in the dirt. She stands up and delivers that famous oath: "As God is my witness, they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again."

Those who are hungry and tired project this O'Hara character onto Trump--this character who will lie and cheat for them and do whatever it takes, honest or ethical or not, and that seems to be OK. Even though they're still hungry.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I find it fascinating how his base completely overlooks the pathological dishonesty. Rather than seeing how devious and megalomaniacal he is, they talk about how great a president he is because "He's checked off all his campaign promises." (Even if he hasn't).

I think there's something weirdly "American" about this attraction to ignoring all the "no trespassing" signs he runs over on his way to "checking off the boxes." I think about that famous scene in Gone With the Wind where Scarlett, utterly exhausted, famished, and emotionally spent, makes it to Tara and vomits her attempt at eating a puny potato she finds in the dirt. She stands up and delivers that famous oath: "As God is my witness, they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again."

Those who are hungry and tired project this O'Hara character onto Trump--this character who will lie and cheat for them and do whatever it takes, honest or ethical or not, and that seems to be OK. Even though they're still hungry.
    Catherine, very interesting take here likening Trump to the character of Scarlett O'hara, or at least as you say hi supporters projecting Scarlett O'Hara's character onto Trump. It fits in a way - they're both selfish as hell and are both tough survivors. And not especially likeable people, either. The problem with his supporters taking things to this level? It's not the Deep South at the near end of the Civil War. Most all have some access to food if not adequate access to food and society still has not collapsed as the Confederacy had by this point. Rob

I'm not in favor of impeachment proceedings at this point, mainly because a) it would fail in the Senate and b) would take time and resources away from what I think are more critical matters. However, pursuing someone for criminal behavior after they leave office is another matter.

My guess is that initiating impeachment proceedings would serve the Democrats about as well as they served the Republicans back in the day. But the urge for virtue signaling and striking heroic poses is hard to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My guess is that initiating impeachment proceedings would serve the Democrats about as well as they served the Republicans back in the day. But the urge for virtue signaling and striking heroic poses is hard to resist.
    What some consider virtue signaling others call upholding the rule of law.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I agree with you completely, jp1. I find it amazing, no bashing at all here intended, that what some would consider upholding the law, others consider mere virtue signaling. Truly I don't have much hope for the future of this society when confronted with such. But whatever, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out regardless. Rob

Or at least so far, the rule of unsubstantiated innuendo. Personally, I have little use for Mr Trump. But I have even less for those who think a rage-besotted show trial is in the best interest of either the country or their own party.

Personally I wouldn't describe the Mueller report as unsubstantiated innuendo. It seems pretty clear that the president lied and cheated and accepted help from an adversarial foreign power to get elected and has been attempting to obstruct, and get others to obstruct, the investigation into this or anything else, ever since. Mueller made clear in his report that the only reason he didn't indict the president is that the justice department currently has rules against indicting a sitting president.

But you're probably right that an impeachment, which most certainly wouldn't result in a conviction, is probably not the solution. The house continuing to do it's oversight function is probably the best we can hope for until the next election.

Thread Information