Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Truthdig

Truthdig

I started reading Chris Hedges a little while ago, and that led me to the website Truthdig, which I now go to regularly and I find I really like the articles. They tend to be bipartisan bashers of the status quo, and most the articles are pretty well written.

We sometimes talk about where do you get alternative news sources, and this is a good one. I can't say it doesn't have strong biases, but it least it exposes many issues that fall between the cracks in mainstream media--while CNN is reporting on the Mueller report ad nauseam.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was recently thinking how much I respect Chris Hedges for usually being right on the facts. He doesn't pretend to be anything but a man of the left, so it's not pretending at unbiased.

Now if he's speculating about the future of the economy or approaches to change things all bets are off (he doesn't believe in electoral change at all, and that's real problematic).

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    CNN is reporting on the Mueller report ad nauseam.
    CNN is particularly bad, they might be the worst "mainstream" news source out there, it's all propaganda, all the time, usually for some war or other. But if there aren't enough wars going on they have to resort to other stuff.
    Trees don't grow on money

I agree that truthdig isn't bad. I've read their site off and on for years.

But I would disagree about Mueller fatigue. What trump is likely guilty of is far worse than watergate. But because we've been hearing dribs and drabs about it for years now the full impact of the report was muted. It SHOULD be all over the news 24/7. One of the things I've been worried about for the past 3 years is that the insanity of a completely corrupt, criminal president who wants to destroy our governmental institutions would become normalized. Some people here poo poo'd my concern, but it's slowly but surely happening. The latest proof of that being that we now have Presidential Defense Attorney Bill Barr instead of Attorney General Bill Barr. Not to mention that Pence, in an interview the other day, made it clear the other day that team Trump intends to use Russia to help them win again in 2020. (yay america?) Pretending that all of this is normal and acceptable is tragic.

Not to mention that Pence, in an interview the other day, made it clear the other day that team Trump intends to use Russia to help them win again in 2020.
    why bother, voting machines are infinitely hackable and probably have been hacked before (certainly some evidence of that). Get a state to rig the vote Trumps way, if it's close, that is probably what will actually happen.

Oh well Pence may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but those running the campaign will be.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    why bother, voting machines are infinitely hackable and probably have been hacked before (certainly some evidence of that). Get a state to rig the vote Trumps way, if it's close, that is probably what will actually happen.
    Which is why all voting machines should have to produce a paper trail.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

Oh well Pence may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but those running the campaign will be.
    I realize that trump will have to hire all new people for this election since most everyone that worked for him last time is going to prison but do you really think he’s going to find smarter people for this campaign than he did for 2016? Bigot Pence seems to be one of the smarter people around trump.

I'm another long-time reader of Truthdig. I like that and AlterNet.org too.

I've always found Hedges to be simultaneously admirable and exasperating. He's more right than wrong about a lot of things, especially the way the corporate world has co-opted all mainstream politics, both left and right. His analyses of upper-class greed and the triumph of the military-industrial complex and global capitalism are very close to the mark. And you have to admire his courage in standing up against the Iraq war hysteria, which resulted in his getting fired by the NYT.

But at the end of the day he's a classic example of making the perfect the enemy of the good. I was especially irritated that he endorsed Jill Stein over Bernie, the rare left-wing politician who stood a chance of bringing about some real change.

I suppose society needs its Jeremiahs. But Hedges seems incapable of accepting that politics is the art of the possible.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but my first instinct is to discount any outlet with "truth" in the title.

"...But at the end of the day he's a classic example of making the perfect the enemy of the good.[/QUOTE]

i totally agree. his book "America: The Farewell Tour" is excellent, while very depressing, but his stance on
    politics and the current moment can be aggravating (as are many "leftists" commentators). we have to realize
    we're in a winner-take-all 2 party system, by design...

This is only tangentially relevant to Hedges, but while we're on the subject of liberals being exasperating, I was gnashing my teeth again this morning as I read about the rehashing of Joe Biden's supposed mistreatment of Anita Hill. It's just like Dems to start circling the firing squad to take potshots at one of their likeliest candidates.

What the hell is wrong with people? Are they determined to see another four years of wannabe Mussolini? The Anita Hill thing was three decades ago, for God's sake. I remember thinking at the time nobody emerged from that mess looking particularly virtuous. Clarence Thomas should have been shot down by the Senate solely on the basis of being a mediocre hack. And while I'm sure his behavior was every bit as slimy as Hill claimed, she continued to cultivate a relationship with him as long as she thought it would boost her own career.

I just wish people would consider the price they might pay for the pleasure of wallowing in their ideological purity.

Thread Information