Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: simple house

simple house

No nails required. It's like giant lincoln logs. Not sure I'd want to live there full-time, but I'm fascinated by such simple structures that provide the basic need of shelter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SQ...&index=15&t=0s

Very clever!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    That is cool, I do like this! Kind of like years ago there was this hardware store in Phoenix called O'Malleys and they had build it yourself cabins. This is of cource much easier to put together and not advanced but still cool anyway. Rob

That is the minimalist in action. It helps that the climate is usually warm with little snow in that area. Interesting !
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Very cool. Love the mobility and simplicity of it. Beautiful area as well. Thanks for sharing!
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Youtube goads me on, but I have to admit that I'm kinda obsessed with these super minimalist places. This guy admittedly has carpenter skills that I don't have, but he built this place for less than my half of rent for one month in the same city. And he lived in it for nine years. Yes, it's just an 8 x 10 shed, but it looks so peaceful. And like any number of places in this city it's hidden in a tiny forest to the point that it doesn't feel like it's in a major urban area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtPI...ist=WL&index=6

I am so with you, jp! I've been mesmerized by tiny houses for years, which is why I love my small, quirky lakeside cabin on Lake Champlain. I appreciate your posting these tiny houses, because it keeps my eyes on the prize as opposed to pining about all the stuff I have to divest myself of as I prepare to actually make THE MOVE.

I noticed that the home in your video is 80 sq. ft. that's the size of Dee Williams' Tumbleweed House. I remember a summer a long time ago I was on vacation in Vermont and I saw this video for the first time and fell in love. That same summer I went to an event at the Nearings' former house in Jamaica, VT, which coincidentally was a short walk from the condo we were staying in that year. Their idea of minimalism was to take site selection into strong consideration when building in sync with the land, so they built the back of the house into the face of a boulder. They owned one bowl and one set of chopsticks each as dining ware.

I still think it's interesting that most people think little cabins are great for vacation, but not as a primary residence. I truly hope that I can achieve my aspirations of living like Greenfield, and the Nearings and the guy on your video.

Here's the Dee Williams video:

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I wish there were more choices for new, not so tiny houses--up to 1200 square feet or so. I love the outside views of many of the tiny ones, but I get instant claustrophobia once their doors are opened and the camera goes inside.

The smallest I lived in was a 869 sq ft condo. It was perfect for just me. When my husband moved in he could only bring his clothes because I needed the rest of the space. Catherine, when winter comes will you rent a apartment in town?

One of the things that makes this latest house work for
    Me is that he uses the kitchen and bathroom in the main house. One of the things i generally donít like about most tiny homes is the cramped and limited kitchen. It would be unpleasant to me to cook in one daily and they give those houses too crowded of a vibe for me. Even when i lived in NYC in a 250 sq foot apartment i still had a decent 8x10 kitchen separate from the living room.

Thread Information