Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: I wish I were in Minneapolis......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    It’s too bad that the 85006 cant just request that the police stay out of their zip code. I’m sure that would make everyone there happy. It must be hard to try and do your job under stressful conditions with cell phones stuck in your face.
    Now here I beg to differ with you, Sir. Certainly you must have seen, over the course of the past few years, numerous video regarding police brutality/law-breaking/assualting innocent citizens/using way excessive force on those not so innocent but not posing a real threat. Perhaps you can unsee that, good for you. My take is - don't expect other people to unsee it, to not be guided by it, to not view the police forever in a negative way. You get to see law enforcement as you wish, I give you that and agree with this much. What I'm saying is in the light of mountains of evidence to the contrary, don't expect any one else to be so charitable to law enforcement. Especially someone from an area that's historically had trouble with over the top police officers.

Nicest way I can put this? To expect such from some one else these days really is asking for too much. Things are that bad, things have changed that much. Rob

What evidence do we have that Noor was the result of "Diversity Hiring"? Are people simply assuming this because he's not a cis-het-white-Protestant-male?

What does "Diversity Hiring" mean for his department? What differences to the standards existed for Noor compared to Officer Roy McCrary?

There's so much structural racism to unpack here....

My own department, and every department I've trained with, establishes standards. If you meet those standards, you are a candidate. "Diversity" has meant that we examined the standards to see if they really objectively were requirements for service. As a result, we have female firefighters, and I'm happy to charge into burning buildings with them at my side. I don't worry that they were "Diversity Hires", I see their performance every day on our training and certification processes.

I’m sure you can google for several articles.

Good news! Mohammed Noor was sentenced yesterday in Minneapolis, MN to 12 1/2 years in prison. His defense team tried to get him probation only but the judge involved waa having none of that, swept this motion aside, and bestowed an average sentence for the crime committed.

Personally, though I strongly believe this sentence should have been multiplied by 3 given that Noor was once in a position of "public trust" and in one in which he did have some power over average everyday people - I also take some joy out of this sentence. Activists will use this for bigger lawsuit settlements and there will be more public pressure now to sentence psychopathic and sociopathic police officers who break the law to lives behind bars and then ruined lives upon release due to permanent criminal records.

We also need a Law Breaker LEO Registry so that these offenses further hinder the lives of law breaking LEO's. From what I'm reading online, activists are working on this.....it will take awhile but one day it may happen. Nice to see the power these thugs have over the general public slowly eroding. Rob

I am glad to see some of these cops get sentences. Maybe it will be a deterrent in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Maybe it will be a deterrent in the future.
    It's more likely to be a deterrent to becoming a police officer. It appears we're now criminalizing mistakes made in the heat of conflict and branding whole communities negatively. I would never go back into law enforcement if I were younger, it's not worth the risk.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It's more likely to be a deterrent to becoming a police officer. It appears we're now criminalizing mistakes made in the heat of conflict and branding whole communities negatively. I would never go back into law enforcement if I were younger, it's not worth the risk.
    Alan, Thank You. I'm not sure if you are aware of it or if you intended it (?), but here you have made it crystal clear why police officers can't be trusted one iota in the United States - at least as things currently stand. (Though I do believe this is in the slow process of changing). What did you do, you ask? You completely ignored and glossed over the risk that the general public faces from police officrers, a risk that can no longer be plausibly denied due to numerous videos since Ferguson highlighting beyond a shadow of a doubt numerous illegal actions perpetrated by police officers. Want to be taken seriously on this topic? (up to you, as always) You need to factor in that the public is more and more aware of the risks involved in any encounter with police officers, no matter how trivial or slight.

By completely ignoring this unpleasant fact, you lose credibility. You wouldn't have to cave in to this fact - a mere mention that video proves that this street goes two ways would sufffice. Completely up to you, I get that. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am glad to see some of these cops get sentences. Maybe it will be a deterrent in the future.
    Thank You, TT. This is also my hope - I can't realistically think of any better deterrent to illegal, murderous acts by police officers than the possibility that they may be held accountable for their illegal acts in a court of law, same as anyone else.

It's not a mass exodus, but more and more police officers around the US have been quitting recently, and I firmly believe this is due to the fact that they believe they are above accountability and can't handle being held accountable. Who knows how many innocent (or even not so innocent) lives have been spared due to these officers quitting due to their inability to handle accountability for their actions? And the good thing is that they do leave with their accrued pensions to date intact, so they do walk with a nice consolation prize. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Alan, Thank You. I'm not sure if you are aware of it or if you intended it (?), but here you have made it crystal clear why police officers can't be trusted one iota in the United States - at least as things currently stand. (Though I do believe this is in the slow process of changing). What did you do, you ask? You completely ignored and glossed over the risk that the general public faces from police officrers, a risk that can no longer be plausibly denied due to numerous videos since Ferguson highlighting beyond a shadow of a doubt numerous illegal actions perpetrated by police officers. Want to be taken seriously on this topic? (up to you, as always) You need to factor in that the public is more and more aware of the risks involved in any encounter with police officers, no matter how trivial or slight.

By completely ignoring this unpleasant fact, you lose credibility. You wouldn't have to cave in to this fact - a mere mention that video proves that this street goes two ways would sufffice. Completely up to you, I get that. Rob
    Whatever Rob. Go ahead and stereotype, demean and misrepresent if it gives your life some sense of purpose, just don't expect everyone to agree with your foolishness.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

There have always been good cops who don’t bully people. We need to attract the best and not the worst. Here the pay has been raised to help with hiring. We have hired ambassadors for downtown to assist tourists with questions, directions, etc and also to get to know the homeless and direct them to resources. They are hoping to assist the police with these issues to allow them more time to do their real jobs. This is actually the first place I have lived where I have felt the police have overstretched their rightful authority.

Thread Information