Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: I wish I were in Minneapolis......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Whatever Rob. Go ahead and stereotype, demean and misrepresent if it gives your life some sense of purpose, just don't expect everyone to agree with your foolishness.
    With all due respect, Alan, I see no stereotyping involved in calmly relating that video does indeed exist (and lots of it, may I add) since Ferguson showing that this issue is very much a two way street. Not the one sided issue that I often come across as stating it is, nor the one sided issue that your post here implies. And there are some good cops - I will give you that here and now. The problem is that there are some cops that are a 180 from being a good cop......thankfully that's FINALLY being addressed in this country to some degree.

Police officers are not gods, they are not above the law, and much like customers, they are FAR from always being right.

I would go so far as to say that this issue is more complex that either of us make it out to be. Rob

PS I came back to add - you mention that you would not go back into law enforcement were you younger, as to you it's not worth the risk (your words, not mine). Fair enough, I question that not one iota. What I do question is: What about the risk of Justine Damond making the 911 call in the first place, her risk of loss of life via unfortunately encountering a LEO who never should have held the position to begin with. What about civilian risk in innocent interactions with law enforcement when law enforcement fatally (expletive) up? I can accept that you find risk in being a LEO due to the significant change in climate that LEO's have faced since Ferguson.....my question to you is that has it EVER been appropriate from day one that an innocent civilian such as Justine Damond should face ANY RISK WHATSOEVER from an innocent 911 call she herself made for completely legal reasons? Point being - the street goes two ways here, like it or not, and the non-law enforcement side of this equation is going to stand up for itself more and more and more as time goes on. This Noor verdict/outcome? Only the beginning...……...Any LEO that can't handle this has no business wearing a badge in the first place. You may not agree, and no one says you have to, k? Point here being I'm far far far from the only one out there who thinks this way these days, and this is far from being social class specific to an area such as my zip code......I'm afraid this line of thinking is going up the ladder and not remaining at the level it traditionally has.

Change is in the air and I say in this case - bring it on! It's long overdue. YMMV, and that's cool...….just don't expect someone such as myself who's experienced what I have to see this issue any differently. One thing I will say that I believe is a bit conciliatory to wrap this up with - it must be hard these days for the scattered good officers out there who are in it for the right reasons...…….I can see that, believe it or not. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    There have always been good cops who don’t bully people. We need to attract the best and not the worst. Here the pay has been raised to help with hiring. We have hired ambassadors for downtown to assist tourists with questions, directions, etc and also to get to know the homeless and direct them to resources. They are hoping to assist the police with these issues to allow them more time to do their real jobs. This is actually the first place I have lived where I have felt the police have overstretched their rightful authority.
    I think the ambassador idea is a good one. We have that in Phoenix and have for some years - they are called, or were called, The Copper Square Ambassadors - a group of folks who work for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership and fulfill the same role that you describe above. Rob

So Rob, if things go "both ways" should the police be able to attach a pension or similar for those who bring a case that is completely bogus? Should that person be destroyed on social media and should there be a registry for those who have falsely brought law suits so there could be vigilante justice?

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    So Rob, if things go "both ways" should the police be able to attach a pension or similar for those who bring a case that is completely bogus? Should that person be destroyed on social media and should there be a registry for those who have falsely brought law suits so there could be vigilante justice?
    Surprise! Your answer is yes. If it's a bogus claim, your answer is yes and this is really no different from a woman making a false rape accusation against a man to destroy him (something else that is about to be criminalized, give it some time). Both sides need video to back up any claim, word is no longer good enough - including the word of a LEO as too many have lied under oath and have been proven to have lied, and have faced no consequences in the past for doing so.

Bogus claims on both sides need to be prosecuted and there needs to be proof of any accusation/allegation. Why do you think I've gone on and on and on regarding never leaving home without a fully charged smartphone? For this very reason. Rob

PS In regards to registries, I'm fine with having a registry for those having made bogus claims against the police, provided that a registry is made for LEO's law breaking behavior/crimes committed on the job/resulting criminal convictions. Fair trade? Rob

Thread Information