Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: I wish I were in Minneapolis......

On May 3 it was reported that Minneapolis had settled with the family of Justine Damond, the woman who was fatally shot by officer Noor. $18 million will be paid to the woman's family and $2 million will be donated to the Fund for Safe Communities of the Minneapolis Foundation. The settlement was unanimously approved by the city council. Council members expressed a commitment to keep working on improving policing.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I have to admit, this one time and with this one issue - after the fact, the system ended out working as well as one could hope for. This transcends citizenship or perks of citizenship/nationality for me. There's no bringing Justine Damond back just as there is no bringing back the lives of many other innocent victims murdered by American police for no legitimate reason whatsoever - but this one time what could be done was done. A large settlement was issued to the grieving family and sentencing for Mohammed Noor is scheduled for June 7th.

I rather doubt the judge involved will go light on sentencing with the world watching this trial. I understand that the police union in Minneapolis is freaking out - How dare you prosecute one of our murderers? Something really needs to be done to curb the power of police unions. If everyday people can be deprived of unions via the brutality of global capitalism, why shouldn't the police be denied union membership? Why is this street not going two ways and why the long term expectation in American society that society knuckles under and accepts this? Got news for you folks - the tide is turning. Don't believe me? Fine. Let the courts prove my point via a larger numbers of successfully imprisoned former police officers going forward. As for me, it's hard not to feel slightly smug - and I've talked to neighbors who understand and agree with me. I am someone - and I know many others, too - who correctly viewed American Police as a threat to society long before it was trendy to do so.

At any rate, it is a joy to see this process unfold and given that I have held a high opinion of Minneapolis for a number of years - I like the fact that the city in which the tide turned turned out to be Minneapolis, MN - though any American municipality with police blight would have sufficed. Sacramento, California, come to mind as does Tempe, Arizona - for high profile cases where murder was not necessary nor indicated.

I lit a candle at Mass the other morning I was off for Justine Damond. This won't bring this innocent victim who was in the prime of her life back - but it is what little I can do other than to spread the truth of the American Police and agitate as much as time allows for justice. And for the police to be held accountable 100% of the time, no exceptions. I and other activists in Phoenix have been calling the local police - also in Mesa, Tempe, and Glendale, AZ this is going on (surrounding cities with major police issues/police officers unworthy of a badge abusing the citizenry and getting away with it) informing them that the Noor verdict is a turning point and that eventually, accountability would be coming. Then we advise the police that if they can't handle accountability and the potential for imprisonment and ruined lives in the event that they break the law, it's best to put in their two weeks notice, keep their accrued pension in the Arizona State Retirement System, and move on so as to keep their incentive to be a cop AND prevent their imprisonment. We also advise them that they are on a recorded line and anything they say can and will be used against them in the court of social media.

Does the above get results? Probably not right away, granted. It's done to let cops know that the social climate they face has changed, that the street does indeed go two ways, and that anything they do should they break the law can and will be used against them - and in cases where police officers break the law and walk free, justice can still be served via economic boycotts and social media. Police officers no longer can get away with murder, literally - it's been a long time coming but it's coming. Let us all be grateful that one of the major blights on American society - especially for lower income people - is finally being addressed. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 5-4-19 at 1:00pm.

If you are really calling police and saying this they probably have you on a unstable persons list.

My "troll" theory continues to collect supporting data.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If you are really calling police and saying this they probably have you on a unstable persons list.
    TT, ,think about how uneven the playing field is here and how the street isn't going two ways as it should. They can come, and as you have posted before in Nevada, and kill with no reason whatsoever, to date often getting away with it - and if one of us so much dares to raise a peep over this and call and warn them in a civil manner of the Noor verdict and that accountability is eventually coming, we are put on an unstable persons list. (if such is true, I wouldn't be surprised but I don't know that it's true, either)....what kind of a society is this? Seriously. Am I the only person here who sees how flat out wrong this is? Very scary - jeepers, this is one of the scarier things that I have encountered in my years in this country. An expectation that I'm OK with being potentially murdered 24/7/365, yet raise a peep and I'm vulnerable to being named on some list.

I feel bad for the refugees from Central America that Canada is not the first developed country they encounter on their trek North. Granted, things are worse with the police in these Central American countries, I grant that here and now - but it's not the level of Human Rights in Canada, either. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My "troll" theory continues to collect supporting data.
    Standing up against police brutality, and the murder of innocent Justine Damond, any many other such murders of innocent civilians by the police in the United States makes me a troll? This explains a lot regarding prior posts of yours towards mine. Thank You. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes.

I think it is weak to make threatening phone calls as “activism” but it is impossible to know If this unreliable narrator really makes calls to local police stations, how often the calls are made, what is said in the calls, and etc. Make no mistake, advising that “accountability would be coming” is a threat.

Obviously with the number of police officers out there, there are going to be some bad ones. I believe overall they are doing a fine job.

The police officer involved in the shooting at least helped with meeting the diversity criteria of the community. Maybe they should be more concerned in hiring the best candidates.

It’s too bad that the 85006 cant just request that the police stay out of their zip code. I’m sure that would make everyone there happy. It must be hard to try and do your job under stressful conditions with cell phones stuck in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Obviously with the number of police officers out there, there are going to be some bad ones. I believe overall they are doing a fine job.

The police officer involved in the shooting at least helped with meeting the diversity criteria of the community. Maybe they should be more concerned in hiring the best candidates.
    Don't be too shocked, dmc, I agree with you. They should be interested in hiring the best candidates - I am starting to see Diversity Hiring as partially to blame for the murder of Justine Damond. It's true that Diversity Hiring did not pull the trigger, but it did allow Noor access to the situation where he did pull the trigger, in spite of reports that he was not fit to be an officer. Swept under the rug by Diversity Hiring.....this was not Liberalism's finest hour by any stretch.

It's bad enough that Noor as a LEO murdered Justine Damond....it's even worse for me as a Liberal understanding that Diversity Hiring is partially to blame for Damond's death. At any rate, I am hoping the city of Minneapolis adjusts their hiring criteria for law enforcement officers STAT. Rob

Thread Information