Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biden taking off in the polls

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I miss first ladies with a cause of some kind as Melania Trump? I believe she's very very very wise to keep the low profile she has given her husband and his nature - but due to this, no cause.

From the First Lady's official White House
    website
    :
    Mrs. Trump has always been an active member of her community. In 2005, she was Honorary Chairwoman for the Martha Graham Dance Company. That same year, she was awarded Goodwill Ambassador by the American Red Cross—a role she served in for four years. Mrs. Trump served five years as Honorary Chairwoman for the Boys’ Club of New York and was named Woman of the Year in 2006 by the Police Athletic League. Mrs. Trump has participated in National Love Our Children Day and National Child Abuse Prevention month, ringing the closing bell at NASDAQ.In 2010, Mrs. Trump was the Chairwoman for the American Heart Association, which raised $1.7 million for research.
    …..
    In her role as First Lady, Mrs. Trump focuses her time on the many issues affecting children. An unwavering characteristic of the First Lady is her aptitude for showing love and compassion in all that she does. Mrs. Trump spends much of her time meeting with children who are patients at hospitals and care centers. Recently, she took valentines to the Children’s Inn at the National Institutes of Health and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. Over the Easter holiday, she made a surprise visit to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Palm Beach, Florida, bringing Easter baskets to the children. Following the devastating hurricanes last year, Mrs. Trump visited Texas to meet with families that suffered greatly under Hurricane Harvey. In the wake of two horrendous mass shootings, Mrs. Trump traveled with her husband to Las Vegas and Parkland to be with the victims and families in their times of need. Internationally, Mrs. Trump has visited several hospitals and schools. One of her most memorable visits being at the Pediatric Hospital Bambino Gesu in the Vatican City, where she met a boy who had been waiting for a new heart. Upon arrival in Belgium the following day, Mrs. Trump learned that the hospital had found a transplant for the boy–Mrs. Trump celebrated the news in a press statement and said “my own heart is filled with joy over the news.”

It seems to me that the media has shown little or no interest in covering her if she won't embarrass her husband.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think a Trump-Biden contest would be great fun. Two of America’s most prodigious liars pitted against each other. Debate moderators will need to wear hip boots and fact-checkers will suffer nervous breakdowns trying to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

now my real feelings: to the Democrats here I have to say: what is WRONG with you people!!!? Are you hell bent on another Trump term? Wtf.
    I hear ya. Maybe Oprah SHOULD run. (jk). But I'd almost rather have Bernie lose in a landslide after at least making noise about some good progressive policies than have Biden follow in Hillary's footsteps.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The interesting thing I've read is that a majority of people who claim Biden as their first choice like Bernie as their second choice and vice versa. I assume that's either because both are well known, or because both are old white men. Or both possible reasons. It's certainly not because they have the same ideas/policies. It will be interesting to see if this holds over time or if these guys lose momentum once the other candidates start to get better known.

I think a lot of people vote based on name recognition, although I have nothing to back this up, just a gut feeling. Probably a lot of people voted for Trump because they liked his TV show.
    However, I used to have a theory that in this video age, a candidate had to have good hair in order to win the presidency. I was obviously wrong with that one.

You're supposed to want to have a beer with your candidate. Although I'd be fine hoisting a few with Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris--and we could ask Mazie Hirono along to make a foursome. There might be some utility in getting one's preference tipsy and grilling them as to their intentions.

Most of the electorate seems to be appallingly ignorant of the candidates and issues, so I suppose they get what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    You're supposed to want to have a beer with your candidate.
    Hmm.. interesting litmus test. So I suppose Billy Carter should have been president instead of his brother?

I'm not sure I'd want to sit and have a beer on Church Street, Burlington with Bernie--he seems so intense all the time! OTOH, Cory Booker seems to be a lot more fun, but I have no interest in sitting in a bar in Newark, NJ. My cousin gets a little playful with Elizabeth Warren every Christmas when she does her annual carol sing with Massachusetts politicians, so she looks kind of fun. Now, Marianne Williamson--that's someone I could have a drink with.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm always impressed watching Warren sprint down the halls of Congress. Her amazing energy is one thing that convinced me (aside from her incisive mind) that she's more than fit for office, even considering her age. To be fair, Bernie is way ahead of me as well.

It’s so early that a lot can change so I am just watching for now. Melania is a joke for our First Lady. The coat that said I don’t really care said it all when she went to visit kids. She hardly does a thing. Past ones have worked at their cause. She originally said it would be bullying she would work on which considering the circumstances is hysterical.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It’s so early that a lot can change so I am just watching for now. Melania is a joke for our First Lady. The coat that said I don’t really care said it all when she went to visit kids. She hardly does a thing. Past ones have worked at their cause. She originally said it would be bullying she would work on which considering the circumstances is hysterical.
    About Melania working on bullying.....I could not agree with you more, TT. Is she really that blind? I'm guessing one of her handlers found a way to manipulate her out of bullying as a cause. Honestly, her husband is not only Bully In Chief but could do weekend boot camps for anyone wishing to learn/hone bullying as a skill. Rob

Thread Information