Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the cover of the next Time Magazine.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

On the cover of the next Time Magazine.....

you will find Mr. Pete Buttelieg (did I get his name right?) and his husband, the former of course with his hat in the ring for the Democratic Presidential Nomination in 2020. Wow! I'm impressed and grateful to see these two on the cover of Time getting positive attention.

Yet another reason I'm grateful for the Obama years.....without the Obama years I doubt we'd have this level of social progress. Progress of which Donald Trump and his Administration have not been able to reverse.

This is just an amazing stretch of time for me. First the recent sentencing on an ex-LEO in Florida to 25 years in prison for cold bloodedly murdering an innocent black man waiting for a toe truck. Then Mohammed Noor (I've posted about this trial repeatedly of course) being convicted a couple of days ago, and now this magazine cover. They say good things come in threes......I'm all for good things to keep happening, though! Rob

Buttigieg. He's very impressive, with his foreign language and ASL and musical skills. I have a soft spot for academic achievers, even though I ain't one. And he did a stint in the military, too. Not sure how much credence to give this, but one survey reported that 70% of voters would have no problem with a gay candidate.

Given the political stances of my conservative neighbors, I was surprised that Colorado elected a gay governor. He regularly post pics of his partner and kids on FB.

I thought most of Colorado was liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I thought most of Colorado was liberal.
    I always thought the Denver area - where the bulk of the population of Colorado lives - was overall liberal but that the rest of the state was not. I spent a week once in Grand Junction, CO back in June 2000 and I can tell you at the time Grand Junction was NOT AT ALL liberal.

That said, there is a town in Colorado named Trinidad, right over the state line with New Mexico. It is having an economic revival after having been a former redneck I believe mining slash forestry town - for two interesting reasons. The first is that's it's become a sexual reassigment surgery destination (seriously) and the second is that it's right across the border with New Mexico and marijuana is legal there, as long as you have government issued ID stating that you are 21 years of age or more. You'd never expect these influences in a town like this in an area like this - at least I would not. Rob

Colo Springs is a military town and suffers the after-effects of religion gone berserk a few decades ago so it is slow coming around.

I'm very impressed with Buttigieg too. My only concerns are the far right might fight even harder to keep a married gay person out of office. It won't have anything to do with all his other great abilities.....but only this one thing, of being gay...and married.
    I just don't want to continue with our far lefts and far rights in Congress being in constant gridlock. There are lots of people out there who only vote for one thing (or against one thing), no matter how great the candidate's other qualities are.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I'm very impressed with Buttigieg too. My only concerns are the far right might fight even harder to keep a married gay person out of office. It won't have anything to do with all his other great abilities.....but only this one thing, of being gay...and married.
    I just don't want to continue with our far lefts and far rights in Congress being in constant gridlock. There are lots of people out there who only vote for one thing (or against one thing), no matter how great the candidate's other qualities are.
    This is so true, Cathy A. I know of many people, both in my neighborhood (and beyond) who vote Democrat only for access to health care. Voting Republican is not an option and is not possible for these people as the overall take is the Republican Party blatantly does not care if you live or die. This is but one example of people voting on one thing.....I'm sure other issues have people voting only for one party but this is one example that comes to my mind. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I wonder if the far right were to work extra hard to keep him out of office given that he is a gay married man - would such backfire with Gen Y voters? Rob

I also wonder what effects it would have on relations with countries that find homosexuality totally unacceptable. Would it make them find us even more "evil" and hate us even more??

Thread Information